PDA

View Full Version : 55-57 Chevy short bed build questions

bwilde86
03-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Now that my brother is taking my grandfathers 47 im out looking for a 55-57 Chevy short step side. I want the car to be able to corner and feel real good on the road. I did the go fast in a straight line with my Trans am and want to maybe get into pro touring and maybe even go to a course once I get the truck completed.

i want the truck to be manual. Always loved shifting gears. How do the tr6060 fit in these trucks? I want to do bucket seats and not the bench seat. I'm worried the throw will be long and won't shift quick enough. Would love to see some pictures with people who have a tr6060 or t56 tranny in these trucks as that is what I'm mostly worried about.

plans:
55-57 chevy truck step side (original frame)
turbo forged 370 lq4
ifs (leaning towards of no limit wide ride with coil overs but curious as to bagging it too. Hear amazing things and they look great)
4 link with 9" (again leaning no limit with coil overs or bags)
tr6060
tub the bed and get stance right

Still doing a lot of research especially on suspension. A lot different than just trying to plant rear tires. Curious with bags but would rather it be able to perform than lay low by a switch. I'm ok with it always being driving height. Not sure if bags perform as well or better than coil overs and there seems to be people arguing for both sides. seems people like the no limit setup and they seem to do real well on the track. I like they made the kit for these trucks and didn't just modify a setup to fit. I am sure other companies have done this too and not only them. If there are other ones to look at let me know.

Love This site and am trying to read as much as possible. Truck will most likely take me years to complete since I want it all but it will be worth it. Any other info or tips I should know to make this truck handle as best as possible let me know. I'm new to both old truck and pro touring so I have a lot to learn.