PDA

View Full Version : Best Budget Paint Gun

cj58
03-24-2015, 08:22 PM
I want to paint my car myself, what is the best budget paint gun. Has anyone tried the HF Professional HVLP gun.

jlcustomz
03-24-2015, 08:57 PM
I've used a couple of different HF & other low priced guns for non automotive stuff at work. They all spray paint, but not as well as an expensive gun , won't last as long & may not even have rebuild parts. Not sure what would be the best low budget gun these days, but check with a local automotive paint supplier. I bought a Smart line standard & touch up gun a few years ago for not much over $100, pretty fair for the price.

Cheap guns won't adjust or spray as well, but high end paint jobs get color sanded & buffed anyways, which with extra work can get the final look of the paint where you want it with lower cost equipment.

65 drop top
03-25-2015, 02:00 AM
I've been using a devilbiss starting line. Seems to work ok for me but I'm an amateur. I was able to spray some miscellaneous parts and got the paint to lay down smooth enough that it didn't need to be sanded and buffed.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-25-2015, 08:05 AM
I would recommend the Devilbiss Starting Line as a decent cheaper starter gun. The HF gun is just really cheap, and a throwaway gun after a few uses.

rlodad
03-25-2015, 08:43 AM
I painted my 1969 Camaro vert in the garage with PPG Deltron using the Eastwood Concours gun:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-concours-primer-base-gun-1-2and1-8-tips-2-cups.html

You can buy multiple nozzle tips for base/primer and clear. I am no pro, but it sounds like you are not either. I have borrowed other $1000+ guns for other small projects, and no, this gun cannot atomize or lay down base like them. I think it is as good as anything under $750, though. IMHO, what is important in a show paint job is Base, plain and simple. If you can get the base down smooth, even, and flat, the rest is simple. Why? Because primer can be sanded flat and clear can be cut and buffed. If the base isn't perfect though, the other two don't matter. The Eastwood guns did a great job on all three. Here's the final result:

dhutton
03-25-2015, 09:06 AM
The best "low cost" gun is to buy a good Sata or Iwata gun on Ebay and sell it on Ebay when you are done. They bring very good money. Consider it a gun rental...

Don

kevs79
03-25-2015, 06:27 PM
I painted mine with this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPRAYIT-LVLP-Gravity-Feed-Spray-Gun-SPRAYIT-SP-33000/202977425

I have a small compressor and it worked pretty good for it being my first time painting. I have nothing to compare it to. I actually got mine from Wayfair.com and it was like 35.00. You can also get different tips on Amazon for around 20.00. When I was researching it there was not alot out there on it. Looks like there are a few others using it now and some videos on Youtube.

See my build thread for some pics of the results. Like I said this was my first time painting and it was outside.

Jetfixr320
03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MFFY9S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007N69IRA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RH9EEKJRMYSZD9RJJGF

I've painted 2 cars with this gun. Pretty happy with the results. Some wet sanding required before buffing. But, I'm new at body work and paint.