PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring help for '67 Firebird 400. . .going Auto-X'ing

atomicjoe23
03-16-2015, 08:16 AM
I have a '67 Firebird 400 coupe that I want to start Auto-X'ing (build thread is in the signature block); it's got mono-leafs in the back. . .I know there were mono-leafs and multi-leafs offered for the car. Which of those stock leaf springs are better for Auto-X'ing?

My current priority list is to replace all of the bushings and ball joints on the car including inner/outer tie rod ends. . .those parts are all ordered (Energy Suspension Hypeflex poly bushing and Moog balljoints/tie rod ends). I also have the stock disc brake spindles, rotors, calipers to upgrade from drums in the front. . .I still need to order a new master cylinder, brake booster, and possibly proportioning valve. I'm also thinking of doing the Guldstrand upper control arm mount relocation.

The car currently has a high-rise tunnel ram intake manifold with a stupid Hilborn 3-blade throttle body scoop on it (not my doing or my taste); I am going to get rid of that and go with an Edelbrock intake manifold and a 400 hood.

That is all I want to do to the car right now. . .I want to get it up to snuff and out on the track where I can enjoy it. I will eventually be upgrading things like the upper/lower control arms and rear suspension to coilovers, but for right now I want to be able to drive the car and learn to drive better. . .once I reach a point where my driving skills are up enough that the car is holding me back I will upgrade from there.

So for right now I would like to know if I should swap out my leaf springs for the multi-leafs (or a simularly priced set of leaf springs from another company since I will have to spend money to replace the leaf springs). . .I just don't want to throw a lot of money at parts that are eventually going away.

FYI. . .I had more first Auto-X event yesterday; I got two rides in other peoples cars (a Pontiac Solstice and a Subaru BRZ with the tuner pipe that gets rid of the 40 HP dip in the middle of the power band) and then I got to drive a 400 HP Mitsibishi EVO IX MR with a coach. . .it was a BLAST and I'm HOOKED!!! It was in the rain and it was still a BLAST!!!

Thanks for the help!

atomicjoe23
03-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Bump. . .let me re-phrase this. . .

If I'm going to run leaf springs which leaf springs would be preferable. . .mono-lears or multi-leafs?

Thanks!

67rally
03-21-2015, 11:13 AM
I have the Hotchkis multileafs (2407C) in my '67 Camaro and they work great. I also did the swivel max bushing upgrade and rear sway bar at the same time.

atomicjoe23
03-21-2015, 11:49 AM
There don't seem to be any threads devoted to this subject on the forum (at least not that turned up on my search) so I started looking at all the leaf springs at companies I am aware of as quality suspension builders. . .the choices I see are:

-DSE: just the leaf springs are cheaper than everyone else, but Global West. I could buy the leaf springs and their offset shackle kit for the same cost as Hotchkis or Guldstrand. DSE seems to be the name in suspension for 1st & 2nd Gen F-bodies at the moment. Lowers the car an 2" or 3"; spring rate is 175#. DSE recommends using their Mono-to-Multi Leaf conversion kit. . .total cost $765

-Hotckiss: Full kit, designed to work on mono- & multi-spring cars. Lowers the rear an advertised 3"; the spring rate is 150-180#. . .so comparable to the DSE??? Total cost $597.95

-Global West: Website says they are designed for a street-driven car and the spring rate is much lower. . .130#; I'm thinking this is a no.

-Guldstrand: Racing springs, lowers rear of car 1" vs. 2-3" for others. No advertised spring rate. . .thinking no on this one too.

Looks like it's down to Hotchkis or DSE if I upgrade the springs; question is the DSE product ~$200 better than the Hotchkis product??? Especially if I plan on converting to coil-overs and links eventually. . .I wouldn't be converting to coils/links until I feel like my driving is good enough that the rear leafs are holding me back.

Thanks for the suggestions, tips, and thoughts.

wendell
03-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Dick Guldstrand has forgotten more about 1st gen Camaros (and leaf springs) than the other names put together.

67rally
03-21-2015, 06:00 PM
The Guldstrand leaf springs are designed for racing purposes only. Unless you're building a dedicated track car, I'd look at one of the other brands.

atomicjoe23
03-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Dick Guldstrand has forgotten more about 1st gen Camaros (and leaf springs) than the other names put together.

Meaning??? They are good springs???

. . .unfortunately Dick has retired; I called Guldstrand Performance last week to get the Guldstrand UCA template and the guy that answered said Dick had retired and they were no longer selling the template. I just wonder if they are gonna be the same springs. . .I guess I could email them to get some more info. . .

The Guldstrand leaf springs are designed for racing purposes only. Unless you're building a dedicated track car, I'd look at one of the other brands.

What type of racing were they designed for? Road-racing, Auto-X? Do you happen to know the spring rate? If it is the same spring rate as the DSE or Hotchkis springs I would expect the ride to be similar. I don't know a lot about leaf springs for cars, but from my off-road experiences the only variables are really spring rate and whether that rate is achieved with lots of thin leaves or just a few thicker leaves. . .

. . .it is going to be a dedicated track car; it will see a small amount of driving to/from local shows and to/from the local Auto-X track. . .but handling and track performance are my number one priority.

atomicjoe23
03-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Just tried to email Guldstrand Performance and their email function on the website isn't working. . .and there is no email listed to directly email them; these types of issues make me a little leary of doing business with them. . .I know Guldstrand is a HUGE name in F-Body handling, but I have to wonder if the quality is still there since he is no longer working at Guldstrand Performance. . .

. . .does anyone have any experience with their products since he retired?

BBO Omega
03-25-2015, 04:12 AM
Landrum can provide replacement leaf springs in many different rates and arches. Very reasonable prices as well.

High Plains Mopars
03-25-2015, 07:23 AM
I don't know a lot about leaf springs for cars, but from my off-road experiences the only variables are really spring rate and whether that rate is achieved with lots of thin leaves or just a few thicker leaves. . .

Well, there is not only linear vs progressive rate leafs, but also roll steer, anti-squat, installed height, free arch, leaf tip shape, and a few other items to consider when optimizing leaf performance. You also will need to take into consideration the entire package for roll couple % and how the rear springs are a part of that so you put the correct rate springs under the back of your car.

If you don't want to take the time to learn all the particulars of making the best choice for your specific application, then conversations with DSE, Hotchkis and Global West are probably in order to see which best matches your needs,

atomicjoe23
03-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for both of the replies. . .the end goal is to upgrade to a 3-link with coil-overs so I'm not sure how much time I want to spend messing with leaf springs that are going to go away.

I didn't even think about Landrum. . .I know Mark Stielow used Landrum springs on at least one of his Camaros. . .