PDA

View Full Version : what bolts did you use?

Mark Antrim
10-15-2005, 05:39 PM
My sub frame is ready to go back on for the last time and am wondering what bolts everyone used to mount all the suspension pieces to the sub frame. Did you use grade 8 plated bolts from the hardware store, stainless bolts from totally stainless or something else. My car will be driven and will see some time on the track but will also be shown.

Mark

nancejd
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I just bought the complete kit from Rick's, that way I knew I had what I needed.

Andrew McBride
10-15-2005, 06:18 PM
grade 8 bolts from local auto parts store and some bolts from my bolt dealer-also grade 8

Rick Dorion
10-16-2005, 03:31 AM
Grade 8 from the better hardware store in my area. Aircraft Spruce is also a great source.

rocketrod
10-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Grade 8 from the better hardware store in my area...
Same here

CarlC
10-16-2005, 08:53 AM
I agree with Rick on Aircraft Spruce.

The only issue to deal with is that the bolts are rated at Grade 5, but the unthreaded length can be tailored so that it is in shear on both ends, vs the threads being in shear on most applications. Shear capability is approximately the same due to the cross-sectional area being larger (non-threaded) on the Aircraft Spruce bolts.

The other nice thing is that the bolts are rated for aircraft use, much better than just about any aftermarket company is going to supply.

I ended up using a bolt with two washers + locknut to get the grip length correct.