PDA

View Full Version : cutting in a sunroof

Bluecab
03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
One of the things I would like to do with my build is add a sunroof. Not a cheesey pop-up but a real electric glass roof panel from a Lincoln, Escalade or such.
I plan to take a generator and a sawzall to a local boneyard and clip the roof off of a likely victim.
When I get it home I thought I'd cut a hole and use a panel flanger to set the sunroof in.
Have any of you guys done this? Thought about it?

TIA,
David

andrewb70
03-05-2015, 12:19 PM
One of the things I would like to do with my build is add a sunroof. Not a cheesey pop-up but a real electric glass roof panel from a Lincoln, Escalade or such.
I plan to take a generator and a sawzall to a local boneyard and clip the roof off of a likely victim.
When I get it home I thought I'd cut a hole and use a panel flanger to set the sunroof in.

TIA,
David

My thought is that this is way more trouble than it is worth. Sun roofs generally have a very complicated under tray that is designed to capture water that leaks and then channel it away, generally down the A, B, or C pillars and outside the car. Unless you can make all that work, you are just asking for a constantly soggy headliner, mold, etc...

Andrew

astroracer
03-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Dave, Andrew is exactly correct. I don't know WHY you need to have a sunroof but this is a lot of work that, in my mind, is relatively useless. I have an '00 Monte Carlo with a sun roof and I NEVER open it. I had the T-Tops out of my '02 CETA once... If you enjoy them I can understand that, but this needs to be done right if you do it.
Mark

ChevelleNV
03-05-2015, 12:48 PM

TIA,
David

While it sounds cool to take one from another car, you better consider the roof curvature.... if it not the same curvature as your roof, its not gonna look right...

and like the other guy's say its a lot of work for something that will probably end up getting little use. I had a 2000 Trans AM with t-tops... in all the time i owned the car I had them off twice.

dontlifttoshift
03-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Kiss of death regarding resale. Bad idea for reasons above.

Bluecab
03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
A little more info:

The car is gutted so no problem to run the drains.

I plan to make a profile form of the roofline to take the curvature of the donor into account so that it looks right.

I would be happy with a fixed window as well, say, a rear window with the right profile. I am mostly interested in the light and sights, not the opening part

Maybe a big sheet of formed lexan would be better.

Resale? HA! I'm keeping this car 'till I die. then it will be somebody else's problem.

Thanks for your thoughts!

David

vintageracer
03-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Resale? HA! I'm keeping this car 'till I die. then it will be somebody else's problem.

Very Noble thought however IF that happens you will be one in a million!

raustinss
03-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Good luck if you do it and it turns out well . Remember thou...if ya f**k it up...there's very few options to fix it

astroracer
03-06-2015, 05:38 AM
I have to ask... have you ever had/driven a car or suv with a sunroof? I see your "light & sights" comment and have to believe you never have... This is just some some of my thoughts and experience with sunroofs so take my comments as you will. No animosty intended, just something for you to consider
Lights: My monte has a panel that slides over the glass to close it off. Blocks the sun when driving. I never open it because, when the sun is out, it shines in through the roof and blinds me. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if I always drove in a northerly direction but I don't. And it is a problem. If I had ordered the car instead of buying it used, it would not have a sunroof.
Sights: Just my take on this but you should be driving the car with your attention on the road, not looking at stuff through the roof...

As you can see I have no love for sunroofs. You can do what you need to do to build your car, your way, but adding this piece of equipment is a tough job that adds very little to an enjoyable driving experience... In my opinion I would spend the time and money on something else... There, my piece is said. NOW, if you go ahead with this please post it in a build thread. The process will be interesting to watch. :)
Mark

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-06-2015, 09:09 AM
How tall are you? One thing to consider is how much room a sunroof takes away. It's noticeable in a new car, for me at least. On an old car where I'm typically touching the headliner, it would be a no-go for me.

Bluecab
03-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks Guys,

I have had quite a few cars with glass roofs and my DD is a convertible, so I guess I just like it..

I am installing a set of recaros from another so I can make the seats any height I need. But I'm not that tall.

Mark, point taken about resources and return on effort; I will probably be concentrating on getting the car up and running this year before dealing with cosmetics.

David

NOT A TA
03-06-2015, 05:26 PM
If you panel flange the cut out section into the roof you're inviting ghosting or worse in the paint later on because the extra thickness of the flanged area will heat and cool slower than the surrounding sheet metal.

minendrews68
03-06-2015, 06:07 PM
I've got a '07 Silverado Classic. It came with the automatic sunroof. It wasn't something I had to have, but I liked the rest of the truck and this came with it. It's ok to open if your sitting still, sounds like a freight train going down the road. And mine leaks! I've looked at everything, but one avenue is that the drain tubes might be stopped up. I would never order one in a vehicle. Just not worth the money in my opinion. It is your car though, do what you want..

Zachalanche
03-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Say goodbye to torsional rigidity. I replaced the roof on my mustang because of a previous owners sun roof. I would say don't do it, but I've done plenty of things to my car that others would advise against. To each their own.