PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech spindle question vs. afx

66larkgs
03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I have a 1966 Buick Skylark GS with Ridetech Shockwaves and lower control arm. I run hotchkis upper control arm b body spindles ,kore3 hubs and c5corvette brakes. My question is what spindle should I pick. I am leaning towards the Ridetech because I like to keep everything from the same company but I want to run a set of brembo 4piston calipers off of a cts -v. I do not have steering arms so I would have to buy them for Ridetech setup, and from what I understand I have to buy new kore3 hubs because the ones I ran with the b body spindles won't work..? Can't change the bearings and races?
I would spend almost$700 for the spindles and kore3 hubs plus a new bracket for the brakes another$100 and the arms to bolt to the spindle$100-200? . So in reality money is pretty close but I want the setup that will work the best.

The reason I want to change is because i was hoping to get rid of the .250 spacer for caliper clearance . I read the b body effects track width and im am close to the fenders. I would love to get ride of the wheel spacers. .think I have over a 4in bs on my front wheels too.

Thank you Paul

130fe
03-04-2015, 05:41 PM
I had the ATS spindles in the past and now have the Ridetech ones. I don't think you will go wrong with either one. Who has the CTSV bracket? You should be able to sell the old Kore3 hubs to offset for buying new ones. I have had a mixed brand suspension setup in the past and it was difficult trying to find good alignment specs. I now have ride tech everything and it drives great. Between Tobin (at Kore3) and the guys at Ridetech, and Speedtech their customer services are top notch. It might be cheaper to mix suspension pieces, but in the end if everything is matched you will be happy!

rchaskin
03-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Here is a slam dunk with the Ridetech spindle....
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/113720-Chevrolet-Zl1-CTSV-Brembo-Retrofit-brake-caliper-Brackets

66larkgs
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
That is a great find but unfortunately I have the gen a 4 piston brembos. I can always keep the c5 setup and sell the brembos if it works out better.

66larkgs
03-04-2015, 07:23 PM
*gen1

626Chevelle
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
I heard that the Ridetech, Fatman and Chris Alston tall spindle are all basically the same spindle and design. I also heard that the spindles were designed using a stock suspension, stock hight and the spindle is to tall. I would buy the ATS, and if not use tall ball joints instead from Howe or Forgeline. Forgline tall ball joints are about $50 a piece. Howe are about $80 to $95. Forgline is still pretty new to the tall BJ game. I have howes on my 68 and just bought forgline for my 72 chevelle.

Call Mark from SC&C and ask him why he doesnt sell them. He sells Chris Alstons stuff too. But not their spindle which is the same as Ridetech. I believe Ridetech has a chart where they have the results from test they ran with the spindle. They compare the spindle to the Heigts tall spindle which is supposed to be different from all 3. I dont think they compared it to the Fatman and Chris Alston becuase they are the same design. If i remember the Ridetech out performed the Heights tall spindle.

killer69
03-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Neither will work with th eB Body spindle upper control arm. you will need new cupper control arm

bret
03-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I heard that the Ridetech, Fatman and Chris Alston tall spindle are all basically the same spindle and design. I also heard that the spindles were designed using a stock suspension, stock hight and the spindle is to tall. I would buy the ATS, and if not use tall ball joints instead from Howe or Forgeline. Forgline tall ball joints are about $50 a piece. Howe are about $80 to $95. Forgline is still pretty new to the tall BJ game. I have howes on my 68 and just bought forgline for my 72 chevelle.

Call Mark from SC&C and ask him why he doesnt sell them. He sells Chris Alstons stuff too. But not their spindle which is the same as Ridetech. I believe Ridetech has a chart where they have the results from test they ran with the spindle. They compare the spindle to the Heigts tall spindle which is supposed to be different from all 3. I dont think they compared it to the Fatman and Chris Alston becuase they are the same design. If i remember the Ridetech out performed the Heights tall spindle.

The more performance you expect to get from your car, the more important it is to REALLY know and understand what all the various suspension components do and how they work together.
The RideTech spindle has no magic. You cannot expect to place it on or beside the car and have it magically transform it into the corner carving beast that we all crave. The magic is in knowing HOW all these components work together as a unit to acheive the results you are striving for. We know that particular combination. When even one part of that recipe is changed, we no longer know anything. We might think, guess, speculate and hope that another combination will work as good as the system that we designed, but without going through a thorough evaluation on bumpsteer, camber curve, and caster sweep...we can't know for sure. We have done this with our complete system. That is why you pay us. Having said all that...we have not and cannot prove all of the combinations that WON'T work...we can only prove what DOES work.

I think the ATS, Fatman, and Alston spindles are damn nice pieces that [when used as a part of their intended application] will make all of your dreams come true. The fit, finish, function and reliability are beyond question. I also think [knowing all these guys personally] that they would council you as I have above...Unless you have the talent and ambition to figure out your particular combination, allow one company to do that work for you. ANY one of these companies systems will work better than the best combination of an unknown recipe. Hearing it is not enough...it must be your hands, your eyes, your math.

Marcus has written a fine book on the subject that echos the opinion above, and demonstrates how to educate yourself on the subject.http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Muscle-Handle-Performance/dp/1934709077/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425670396&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=how+to+make+your+musclecar+handle

It's $20 from Amazon. Best money you'll ever spend on furthering your enjoyment of your car!

66larkgs
03-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Bret,
Thank you for the reply, I just ordered Ridetech upper arms and spindles from you guys to make everything matching and complete. Actually ordered from summit.. Free shipping... One question I do have is does anyone make a billet steering arm for your spindle or just use a stock one?

Thank you
Paul

The more performance you expect to get from your car, the more important it is to REALLY know and understand what all the various suspension components do and how they work together.
The RideTech spindle has no magic. You cannot expect to place it on or beside the car and have it magically transform it into the corner carving beast that we all crave. The magic is in knowing HOW all these components work together as a unit to acheive the results you are striving for. We know that particular combination. When even one part of that recipe is changed, we no longer know anything. We might think, guess, speculate and hope that another combination will work as good as the system that we designed, but without going through a thorough evaluation on bumpsteer, camber curve, and caster sweep...we can't know for sure. We have done this with our complete system. That is why you pay us. Having said all that...we have not and cannot prove all of the combinations that WON'T work...we can only prove what DOES work.

I think the ATS, Fatman, and Alston spindles are damn nice pieces that [when used as a part of their intended application] will make all of your dreams come true. The fit, finish, function and reliability are beyond question. I also think [knowing all these guys personally] that they would council you as I have above...Unless you have the talent and ambition to figure out your particular combination, allow one company to do that work for you. ANY one of these companies systems will work better than the best combination of an unknown recipe. Hearing it is not enough...it must be your hands, your eyes, your math.

Marcus has written a fine book on the subject that echos the opinion above, and demonstrates how to educate yourself on the subject.http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Muscle-Handle-Performance/dp/1934709077/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425670396&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=how+to+make+your+musclecar+handle

It's $20 from Amazon. Best money you'll ever spend on furthering your enjoyment of your car!