PDA

View Full Version : Functional air exstractors

rohrt
10-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Has any one messed with adding functional air exstractors to their front fenders to bring down under hood pressure for hi speed driving?

toxicz28
10-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I might be wrong, but isn't under the hood a negative pressure area? (cowl induction)

nancejd
10-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't think underhood is a negative area, but the area in front of the cowl is a high pressure area.

rohrt
10-17-2005, 05:40 AM
I had put in a question on another site about building a car for hi speed running. There was a suggestion about putting in functional air extractors to eliminate the high under hood pressure.

Maybe I should ask the question here. What body mods can/should be done on the first gen F bodies for hi speed road racing. I'm thinking in the 150-160MPH tops.

MrQuick
10-17-2005, 07:53 AM
I did some (very limited) research on this some time ago and found that the best area for air extraction would be at the front half of the hood, although I remember some had hood vents near the hinge area. I read that some people still had lift with rear ward hood vents. This be for heat extaction more so than hood lift at high speeds. The optimum vent location would be just forward of the air cleaner on 1st gens.

79T/Aman
10-17-2005, 08:48 AM
also look at ducting the an air intake for the radiator from under the front bumper this way you could block off the grills and any other area that air can enter the under hood area also keep the fender wells in .