PDA

View Full Version : efi conversion, need help with decision making. i have vapor lock of the brain.

dusterbd13
02-28-2015, 07:28 AM
so, as some know, I had a major failure in the duster. this allows me to finally go EFI as I rebuild it.

the constraints: multiport intake, 1200cfm throttle body with GM IAC and TPS. LS1 injectors.

what im running up against now, is making a decision on engine management. it boils down to drivability for me. I don't want to screw with it. I cant tune worth a damn. its a fairly radical engine (solid roller, 12in manifold vacuum at 900rpm idle, indy heads, 3 inch exhaust, 390 at the rear wheels on pump gas)and I want it as docile and drivable as possible. it has never been this, no matter what carb and manifold I have tried. im sick of trying.

my options, really, are three:
1. ez efi retrofit kit. I can get it for 700 shipped brand new, self learning, no ignition control. spotty info on the retrofit, but mixed reviews on the full tbi style kit. I've installed a couple of the full kits, and they were a bitch to get right but were great once they were.
2. GM L98 (tuned port 350 corvette)computer and harness. cheapest of the options. I already have it all. I cant tune worth a damn, and no one I know of is still messing with them. at that point, I order a mail order tune and take my chances.
3. Megasquirt. can do anything. ever. and im almost completely on my own except for guys on the internet. no one around here will touch it.

so which management system? my gut says spend the money on the ez setup, but my cheapassness balks at that kind of cash.

up next is fuel system: two options.
1. pusher pump/surgetank/e2000 rail pump. already have this in my elky, and works flawless. little noisy. id have to put my surge tank in the trunk in this one, and run all my plumbing through the floor. don't like that. but I also already have all the pieces, so cheapest option.
2. tanks inc pa4. drop in high pressure/return module with sump tray. 225, but done, quiet, and clean.

im leaning towards the PA4, but again, my cheapassness comes into play.

lastly is plumbing. I hate the look of braided stainless/red-blue AN lines. the push lock stuff scares me at 60psi of fuel pressure. on the elky, I used push lock AN fittings with standard high pressure line and fuel injection hose clamps to make my soft lines. ugly as hell, but functional. also not cheap. id like to do something cleaner and neater here, as it will be much more visible in the engine bay and other areas. ideas?

so help me out here, guys. I really need it.

Red67Mustang
02-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Why not also consider one of the Holley EFI set ups? Self learning for the novice but also able to be totally custom tuned on a dyno if you want to get the most out of it.

I have the Holley 'HP EFI' setup on my Mustang and have been very happy with it. I'm running it as a TBI setup right now but I'm planning to convert it to MPI for a little easier cold starting and better fuel distribution. (Other than the engine parts, it's just an issue of picking different options in the HP EFI unit.)

I'd recommend the Holley set up to anyone that's just diving in. This was my first foray into an EFI retrofit or tuning of any kind, and it worked out very well. There's also a great product specific technical support forum on the Holley website.

Word to the wise; use Holley's gauges that use the ECU as input so you are seeing what the ECU is seeing, and let the ECU control your cooling fan(s). Works like a charm!

another69
03-05-2015, 04:55 AM
2nd to the Holley. Lots of options and room to grow. Good support too

TheJDMan
03-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Just to toss a thought out there, NASCAR Sprint Cup series cars have been running Holley TBI EFI systems for two or three years now. This means that these surplus systems will become available for sale as used race parts. A few years back I purchased a surplus NASCAR Holley carb from Roush and the level of mods and blueprinting to this carb were impressive. Assuming the teams do the same kind of polishing and blueprinting to the TBI units these will be nice.