PDA

View Full Version : Custom 69 Pontiac hood ideas

boss_hoss
02-14-2015, 10:36 PM
109000Looking for ideas and opinions on custom hood ideas for a 1969 Pontiac tempest/Lemans. The GTO hood is cool but I don't want to end up with a GTO knockoff, I'd rather have something that's my own. I'll be starting with the stock flat hood, my first thought would be a stinger style hood scoop from a stingray corvette or a pair of hood vents on either side of the spear. Any other ideas? Anybody with some photoshop skills that would be willing to contribute to the cause would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hoss

Interceptor5588
02-15-2015, 07:01 AM
How about twin front scoops like a Firebird Formula, or towards the back like a Mopar?

boss_hoss
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
The formula scoops aren't a bad idea. I like that its from a pontiac of the same period.

andrewb70
02-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Shakers are cool. We started with a Lemans flat hood when we did mine. The bulge down the center of the hood fits an early shaker almost perfectly. Done right it will look factory. Most people think mine is stock.

Andrew

boss_hoss
03-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Well after a little thinkin I've come down to two options.
Stingray hood scoop or cut heat extractor vents on either side of the spear 109725109724

rohrt
03-03-2015, 07:23 AM
I have wondered if you you could take the arrow head center of the hood and pie cut it to raise the back up a inch or 2. Give some room to run a higher intake,

boss_hoss
03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Kind of like a cowl induction spear, that's kind of cool if I end up cutting the hood to make the vents I may do that with the spear too. It will give it a more drastic design,

astroracer
03-03-2015, 08:37 AM
I like the extractors. They are a stand alone design and not really tied to a particular car or manufacturer. I did something similar to the cowl hood I put on my truck. This is in glass but the same thing wouldn't be that hard to do in steel.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/12/MVC005Fvi-1.jpg
Pay attention to the architecture under the hood. Lots of stuff under there that you need to consider in the design stage. :)
Mark

jlcustomz
03-04-2015, 03:03 PM
I agree that the extractors would be more of a stand alone design as well as a good improvement in both cooling & reducing front end lift if done correctly.

The underside bracing of a stock hood will of course be one of the issues to figure in to a modification.

Several different methods of sheetmetal fabbing could be done to make the vents.
Could slit the front & sides of the opening, bend the remaining metal down from the rear & weld in spear shaped filler strips between the top & bottom surfaces. 4 weld beads to run per scoop.

Could cut out the entire top portion & bend a new lower section with the side angles included & weld up to hood surface. 3 weld seams to run.

Could cut out opening leaving metal for sides of vent in place & bend down, then cut & weld in new lower only section. 3 weld seams to run. This method would tale a little more skill to bend the top sheetmetal down for the sides, but could result in a cleaner radius at the top of the hood where it matters most.

All a mater of fabricators preference. Then you have your choice of how to do the actual extractor opening & grille or no grille. I'd do a grille.

Also, just my opinion here, but I think the car is just screaming to have a custom front air dam also to go along with the new look.

boss_hoss
03-05-2015, 10:28 PM
I agree that the extractors would be more of a stand alone design as well as a good improvement in both cooling & reducing front end lift if done correctly.

The underside bracing of a stock hood will of course be one of the issues to figure in to a modification.

Several different methods of sheetmetal fabbing could be done to make the vents.
Could slit the front & sides of the opening, bend the remaining metal down from the rear & weld in spear shaped filler strips between the top & bottom surfaces. 4 weld beads to run per scoop.

Could cut out the entire top portion & bend a new lower section with the side angles included & weld up to hood surface. 3 weld seams to run.

Could cut out opening leaving metal for sides of vent in place & bend down, then cut & weld in new lower only section. 3 weld seams to run. This method would tale a little more skill to bend the top sheetmetal down for the sides, but could result in a cleaner radius at the top of the hood where it matters most.

All a mater of fabricators preference. Then you have your choice of how to do the actual extractor opening & grille or no grille. I'd do a grille.

Also, just my opinion here, but I think the car is just screaming to have a custom front air dam also to go along with the new look.

I'm thinking I'm gonna slit the hood and bend the flaps to the desired angle, then tack it with some round stock and trace some templets for the sides of the vents. Definitely grilles for the front of the extractors. I suspect that the added material should make up for some of the loss of regidity from the removed bracing. Also it's a base model flat hood which is cheap so if I screw it up I'm not out too much. I agree about the air dam too, I'm probably going to get the 69 gto front valence and do a air dam. I also plan on either running the air intakes or modifying zo6 brake cooling ducts and routing them through the holes where the blinkers are located on the 69 gto valence.

jlcustomz
03-05-2015, 11:29 PM
The added shape definitely will stiffen the hood front to rear, but not so much for side to side twist flex. Twin side hood latches could help that issue though.

Interested to see another different custom hood done.

FANTM58
03-09-2015, 07:47 PM
how about this
i sliced a shotgun scoop in half the sunk it into the hood.