PDA

View Full Version : 107" wheelbase?

Scott N
10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Installing a WD front clip,Have pried,beat& pushed.Can only get 107'' out of this without cutting or grinding.Any ideas or will this even be a problem?

gchandler
10-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I will assume that you are working on a camaro. Is the car sitting on the ground at ride height. The rear end moves for and aft under bump and compression if you are running a leaf spring setup.

Scott N
10-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Yes it is a Camaro,its on jackstands under the suspension.No the rearend doesn't move fore and aft on a leaf spring car.The shackles move to compensate for the arch of the rear half of the spring.

6'9"Witha69
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Uhh, not really. During bump the spring flattens slightly, making it longer. The rear shackle moves to accomodate the WHOLE spring movement. When the front of the spring flattens it moves the rear end back a little. It is this movement which requires the play in the Trans-driveshaft yoke. Granted this fore aft movement is not extreme, it does occur.

gchandler
10-14-2005, 03:49 PM
You got to it before I could.

If there is enough space all around and the wheelbase is the same pass and driver then I would not worry about it. The general did not make all of these cars the same. So the 108" is more of an estimate then a cut in stone number.

David Pozzi
10-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Higher than stock caster will reduce wheelbase a bit too.

Steve Chryssos
10-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Yup. It's the caster. So the wheel ends up located a bit rearward in the wheelwell. It would be nice if Wayne Due "rolled" the suspension pickup points forward to compensate. I took some of the caster out when I modified my ARDF (pre-Wayne Due) clip. Too much caster for my tastes. Call Wayne and ask if it is reasonable to slot the body mounts. If so, take great care to maintain chassis alignment.

vanzuuk1
10-15-2005, 05:33 AM
You could make inserts for the slots so the bolt isnt trying to keep the subframe from moving. Would that work? If so you could "tune" your wheelbase a little bit.