PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro Rack steering?

killer69
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Just wondering what kind of issues have come up with these rack and pinion kits ie Flaming River, Unisteer or any others. i have herd the FR one is very heavy, just wanted some input prior to purchasing one.
Thanks

jamesg602
10-13-2005, 11:49 PM
About a week ago I called Flaming River to get info and possibly purchase the R&P kit. I also have a Flaming River tilt Steering column in my 68 Camaro,that I purchased about 3 yrs. ago. Here is what I found out from Flaming River that turned me away.
1. Flaming River Tech told me although I had their steering column it would not work with their R&P kit. (Which doesn't make much sense IMO.) :dunno:
2. It was only small block compatible :dunno:
3. It would not fit my header application, which is why I needed the rack in the 1st place. (to clear my headers)
4. If I wanted it to work I would need to order their column kit that is compatible with their R&P.
5. Tech was not very eager to help unless I was willing to buy their column kit as well.
I am in no way trying to bad mouth Flaming River, they just are currently not able to suit my needs with their product.
I am waitng for my Unisteer rack which I ordered a week ago, fellow member awr68 aka Anthony, did a very detailed and helpful write up on the installation of his rack from Unisteer a couple months back. Do a search for "Unisteer" and you'll find his write up/posts.
The main reason I have opted for a Rack in the 1st place, was because Jeg's sent me the wrong part # of headers. Unfortunatlely my return policy has expired at this point. After speaking with tech at Unisteer they seemed very willing to accomodate my current setup and told me that there was a very good possibility of everything working together with the headers I currently have. I am hoping it will all workout , and I won't have to sell or ebay my headers and buy a new set. Hopefully this can be beneficial and help you make the best decision for your application. Good Luck :icon996:

zuess4u
10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I dont know much about the FR kit, I started the group purchase for the Unisteer kit some months back.

Im pretty sure more then 10 purchases were made, we got one negative feedback on installation, but this may due to NOT following directions. It may seem like a simple installation, and it is. But if you dont follow directions and try some other approach, you may screw your kit up.

We installed our unit, and removed it, sub is getting powder coated,

So cant tell you how well it works, but from other customers I have spoke to, its very nice.