PDA

View Full Version : Well (hmm need to come up with a different line) I figured out hoow to save,,,,

MonzaRacer
02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
So last year my dryer went out. So after copious research I bought an LG, awesome dryer.
So this year my washer springs leak, and I went looking for matching washer,,,,, well matching model washer was discontinued, next model up is more than I paid for my dryer.
Well, I just had a lark of an ide to search for last years matching washer. Turns out a Menard's up towards Indy had three of them, discontinued, on sale with a rebate.
$650 washer, on sale for $459, then the $50 rebate.
SCORE, I even paid for an extra year of extended warranty! $59.99
So instead of a $675 newer model washer, I saved over $250 and still get a great washer and it matches my dryer.

Paraman1
02-08-2015, 05:15 PM
I think I paid 100 bucks for my washer and dryer 16 years ago and they are still running strong even after my Daughters friend got stuck in the washer and the local Fire department had to tear it apart to get her out . Local repair guy came out and bolted it back together and its still chugging along . In all fairness though I think the dryers drum gasket/bearing needs replaced :)

DesertFox
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
I think I paid 100 bucks for my washer and dryer 16 years ago and they are still running strong even after my Daughters friend got stuck in the washer and the local Fire department had to tear it apart to get her out . Local repair guy came out and bolted it back together and its still chugging along . In all fairness though I think the dryers drum gasket/bearing needs replaced :)
Totally off topic, but how does one get "Stuck in a Washer"?
There must be a heck of a backstory on that...

TheJDMan
02-08-2015, 08:16 PM
You would be amazed at how easy these appliances are to work on. I have been using the same dryer for over 35 years. I have rewired it, replaced thermal switches, belts, motors and heating elements numerous times. It has so many hours on it that over the years all the ceramic coating has worn off the inside of drum. My washer is almost 25 years old and I recently had to replace the clutch in it for about $80 worth of parts. Both of these are 70's harvest gold and uglier than sin but I can't justify spending any money to replace them. If you can work on your PT car you can work on your washer and dryer.

MonzaRacer
02-08-2015, 09:45 PM
well the dryer I used too have was a GE huge, almond, and the parts alone to fix would have been well over $400, I got new one for $588, just couldnt see spending that much on 25-30 yr old dryer.
Washer has issues, few parts discontinued, and its just a major pain to try and find discontinued parts.
I just cant see spending huge cash on 15 to 20 yr old appliances.
My old dryer was just so inefficient this new dryer works so much better.
Honestly, if you upgrade you really wont believe how much more efficient the newer ones are.
I am hoping the washer is such a great improvement.
you can patch up small issues, like I used an old heater hose to fix one issue few years back, but this time the washer just isnt worth spending cash on.

MonzaRacer
02-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Well washer came home last night ,,,,,and one of my high perforkancre stainless braided steel washer hoses won't seal up to washer. Crap..
So today went and bought single rubber version. Hoping to see it fully installed and operating. Oh and forgot to buy detergent yesterday. Duh.
But coworker that brought it home did like the Caprice and Monza! And his step daughter wants my 69 Ventura.