PDA

View Full Version : First Classic Car; need help with insurance

wimsattk
02-03-2015, 03:39 PM
I just purchased a 1968 Camaro it its a heck of a machine. It has a 388 stroker with Vortech V3 supercharger, tubular control arms and QA1 coilovers, all autometer phantom gagues and its an absolute adrinaline rush to drive. That being said I need to get good insurance before I feel comfortable taking it on the road.

Heres the issue:

I can get really inexpensive insurance ($208.00/year) from Grundy but it seems really restrictive (pleasure cruises, car shows, and occasional sunny drives)

On the other hand

I can go the more expensive route from Hagerty ($718.00/year) which is as much as my primary vehicle; its still restrictive (drive to work less than 20 times per year, iffy on weekend getaways, pleasure cruises, and parades)

My intentions are to drive the car when its nice out and if there is a weekend with good weather drive it to the lake for a weekend; id like to do the PowerTour at some point and other things of the sort.

Did anyone else have this issue? How did you over come it? All im trying to do is get a agreed upon vaule policy for 27,000 that lets me drive the car when I feel like it. Is that possible without it being a daily drive car?

Thanks,
KW

TheJDMan
02-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Grundy or Hagerty are both good companies and your best choices. You will not have any problems with the restrictions unless you drive it as a primary vehicle. I pesonally have Hagerty.

minendrews68
02-04-2015, 07:36 PM
I too have Hagerty. It is a division of Nationwide, which is where I have my sons, daughters, wifes, autos and my truck, my house and my flat bed trailer. My Camaro's insurance isn't as high as yours though.

shmoov69
02-04-2015, 08:32 PM
We have CHROME from American National (ANPAC) and it seems to be really good and affordable. I think they may have changed the name from CHROME but can't remember what to

mpozzi
02-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Hagerty here as well ...

Mary P.

analyte
02-05-2015, 03:32 PM
LaRue for me.

wimsattk
02-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I found LaRue to be the best rate and most accomodating (I got quotes for all the ones listed above, thanks for the leads). They were around $250/year with the drive to work coverage and Alex personnaly handled an issue with their computer system for me. Haggerty had good coverage but they were three times more expensive for the same coverage as LaRue; not sure why.

gotyorgoat
02-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Did that rate include comprehensive coverage or just liability? My policy is part of my group policy with my truck and wife's car and it's about 500 for just liability. If it's my fault, they only fix the other guys car. They didn't offer comprehensive on that car since they wouldn't be able to determine the value.

sheck44
02-06-2015, 02:48 AM
Well I just got my new premium for my 69 from Hagarty yesterday, and I am not too happy. After I gave them 200 pictures of my newest build they are offering a replacement value that would basically pay for parts only ... and then happily informed me that my rate has TRIPLED. Even my broker was shocked ... Likely going to drop them and go with regular insurance. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with being Canadian .. as we are always getting screwed

Steve

Jetfixr320
02-06-2015, 04:07 AM
We are pretty happy with NCM Insurance, My Agent is Adam Boca. They are in Bowling Green Ky at the Corvette Museum.

wimsattk
02-06-2015, 04:23 AM
That was for comprehensive and collision.

Tough break from Hagerty shek. AMIG was who I had earlier and they totally screwed me over so I was in a rush to find the same coverage at a aresonable premium

Reckn8
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Hagerty for me as well.. Hit a deer coming home from the 2014 Pwr Tour! Wiped out the front end of the Cutlass. They were very easy to work with. Rebuilding car and should be back on the road maybe this year.

130fe
02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
I have LaRue also. Prices are competitive with the others.

MonzaRacer
02-06-2015, 06:05 PM
LelandWest has unlimited mileage. I set my value at $10000 no deductible.
$250 anually

wimsattk
02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the help guy; I found competitive rates with LaRue and so far Im very happy with them. Its too bad AMIG didnt work out becasue initially I liked their coverage