PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk grease guns

parsonsj
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I need to buy grease and a grease gun. I know nothing about either. Anybody got a favorite brand? Is a pneumatic gun necessary?

jp

protour_chevelle
10-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Don't buy a cheap grease gun thats for sure, Pump action is what I like. Specific grease.... Couldn't help ya there.

-Matt

sinned
10-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Pneumatic guns are dangerous and break quite a bit. One of our fuel drivers just got back from 6 months off after a hose blew and pumped grease into is hand. Basic Lincoln pistol grips work great.

myclone
10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I prefer the pistol grip also since it leaves one hand free to position the end of the hose onto the zerk fitting.

Jim Nilsen
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
We used lincolns where I used to work and they take a lot of abuse before they give up. I bought a Plews about 3 years ago for home and it has been a real nice gun too. I believe I bought the Plews at Pepboys. You can get Lincolns thru McMaster Carr I do believe or at most industrial shop supply stores.

I would stay away from pneumatics unless you like problems or plan on filling large shaft bearings on machines.

Jim Nilsen

airrj1
10-13-2005, 06:12 AM
I have been using Amsoil Synthetic grease for quite a while now. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/glc.aspx I started using it before synthetics became popular, so there were no other common choices at the time. On our stock car which was a '75 Chevelle w/stock spindles we had to repack the front wheel bearings every 5 races or so with cheap grease. When we switched to the Amsoil we would run a full season (16 races) without touching them. I know that ball joints and tie rod ends don't see the high speeds and high heat that wheel bearings see, but I have had very good luck using it on everything that I have built in the last 12 years.

parsonsj
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
OK, thanks all. I picked up a Lincoln pistol grip gun and a Mobil 1 synthetic grease cartridge tonight.

jp