PDA

View Full Version : T56 clutch recommendations

white79bu
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I am in the market for a new LT1 style clutch. I currently have a centerforce duel friction thats toast after a few thousand miles. So I won't be going with them. I am leaning towards Carolina Clutch. Super nice people and seems to be a pretty good setup. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would like to keep it under $600.

TitoJones
10-12-2005, 06:10 PM
McLeod. (http://www.mcleodind.com)

Tyler

Hurst - Jeff
10-12-2005, 08:44 PM
McLeod

CAMAROBOY69
10-13-2005, 04:08 AM
How much power do you have? What are you doing with the car? All drag racing? Street driving??
Frying a dual friction centerforce clutch after only 2000 miles doesn't seem right. Wouldnt want you to fry another clutch if something was installed incorrectly or not properly adjusted.

white79bu
10-13-2005, 04:21 AM
It's mainly a street car with a 450 hp small block. I am planning on doing alot of autocrossing next year and some quater mile runs. I know everything is installed right. I have had some engine issues in the past so I have had it apart 4 diffirent times. I don't think I broke the clutch in right. I know it wasn't 500 miles before I started thrashing it. So it might be my fault. The reason I don't want another Centerforce though is because I was talking with some folks from Jegs and they said that they have been having alot of problem with Centerforce. They even recommended not buying another one. My question is how do guys with race cars break their clutch's in? They can't drive them 500 miles to get broke in. So what's their secret? Thanks for the help.

CAMAROBOY69
10-13-2005, 04:28 AM
I have a little less hp than you have and I beat the living hell out of my car with my 383 stroker. My recent abuse was Gingerman raceway. Also did power tour last year and woodward the last 2 years. Then there is just daily driving abuse. The only thing that was highly recommended was that the flywheel was completely cleaned off and free of any oil or residue. Had to use degreaser. Besides that I really did not break the clutch in at all. No chatter, no sliping, nothing.
If you are to get another clutch and want to steer away from Centerforce then I would say go with Mcleod. A lot of members post positive feedback about them. I am still very satisfied with my Centerforce for now.

white79bu
10-13-2005, 03:19 PM
I wonder if an adjustable master cylinder would help! The clutch pedal still ingauge's in the same spot and sometimes it dosen't slip. I just wonder if something is wrong with the hydraulics. I know if the car sets over night I have a hard time getting it in gear at first. After you drive it for a while it goes away. I am running the complete GM hydralics right now. What do you guys think? I can only tell it's slipping when you go from secound to third at high rpm's.

Moose
10-16-2005, 03:04 PM
McLeod

its what i had in my ls1 car, its what i just ordered for my 69 for the t56..