PDA

View Full Version : B body spindels on my A body

Shradezz70S
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM
I Have installed B body spindles on my A body cutlass looking for information as to which disc brake conversion kit from either Wilwood or SSBS would be best for this car. I called Wilwood tech-support and the guy on the phone didn't even know what the B body car was??? And told me they do not make kit for them. Wilwood has two kits one negative offset and one positive. Do I not worry but what kit and just make this adjustment with rim offset?

raustinss
01-22-2015, 06:52 PM
What size of rotor are you hoping to run?

badazz81z28
01-22-2015, 07:08 PM
KORE 3 of course. 13" corvette brakes. They work wonderfully!

andrewb70
01-22-2015, 08:17 PM
I Have installed B body spindles on my A body cutlass looking for information as to which disc brake conversion kit from either Wilwood or SSBS would be best for this car. I called Wilwood tech-support and the guy on the phone didn't even know what the B body car was??? And told me they do not make kit for them. Wilwood has two kits one negative offset and one positive. Do I not worry but what kit and just make this adjustment with rim offset?

Where in WI are you located? I have a custom 14" rotor, Wilwood caliper, billet hub brake set-up that I am not using, and I'll swing you a killer deal. PM me if interested.

Andrew

MonzaRacer
01-22-2015, 08:50 PM
I certainly hope you understand direct bolt on has issues. There was one guy, the owner of HO Racing, now, if still in business is HO Enterprise made an upper control arm that fixed most of it.
I had plans to do tall ball joints and spc upper arms on my 70 Monte Carlo.
But never got chance, it was totaled back 02.
I drove car with b car spindles, never felt right. Of course he never had right upper arms.
I always had hoped to find another one, and use ATS/ Speedtech spindles.
Wish there was something similar for my 66 Caprice.

Skip Fix
01-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Pretty sure the Global arms also address the taller spindle of F body/B body spindles on A bodies. That is the main issue is the taller spindle-they can work with stock arms but need a bunch of shims. I think there is also some bumpsteer issues.The spindles are interchangeable(second gen F body/B body) except B bodies were the only ones to use a factory 12" rotor on some cars like wagons, police, F body 11". Since you cut that part off for a Wilwood or aftermarket kit it doesn't really matter B body or F body. Looking at second gen F body kits will give you an idea of kits also.

About 78-79 there was an outer front wheel bearing change. Most say 79 my 78 shop manual says 78-I never paid attention the last time I repacked the 78 TAs wheel bearings.

andrewb70
01-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Pretty sure the Global arms also address the taller spindle of F body/B body spindles on A bodies. That is the main issue is the taller spindle-they can work with stock arms but need a bunch of shims. I think there is also some bumpsteer issues.The spindles are interchangeable(second gen F body/B body) except B bodies were the only ones to use a factory 12" rotor on some cars like wagons, police, F body 11". Since you cut that part off for a Wilwood or aftermarket kit it doesn't really matter B body or F body. Looking at second gen F body kits will give you an idea of kits also.

About 78-79 there was an outer front wheel bearing change. Most say 79 my 78 shop manual says 78-I never paid attention the last time I repacked the 78 TAs wheel bearings.

Yes, GW has been making those arms for a very long time. I used to have some on my GTO, when I had the F-body tall spindle.

Andrew

BMR Sales
01-23-2015, 08:29 AM
This is what I offer!

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=47&superpro=0

csouth
01-23-2015, 08:30 AM
I certainly hope you understand direct bolt on has issues. There was one guy, the owner of HO Racing, now, if still in business is HO Enterprise made an upper control arm that fixed most of it.
I had plans to do tall ball joints and spc upper arms on my 70 Monte Carlo.
But never got chance, it was totaled back 02.
I drove car with b car spindles, never felt right. Of course he never had right upper arms.
I always had hoped to find another one, and use ATS/ Speedtech spindles.
Wish there was something similar for my 66 Caprice.

From what I have read and heard they fix the camber issue, but can actually make bumpsteer worse. Was this your case?

JustJohn
01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Will those also fit my 69 Impala?

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...=47&superpro=0 (http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=47&superpro=0)

raustinss
01-23-2015, 01:11 PM
If your going to still run the B body spindles then you have the choice of b body brakes or some f body. Now if that's the route try to find spindles from a Wagon they have bigger bearings this can let you run 92 12" camaro 1LE brakes. Now I'm not trying to take business from Tobin over at kore3 but FYI the 12" camaro set up is alot cheaper. Now if you already have the spindles and they aren't the big bearing type then yes I'd go to the kore3 set up. Both of these set ups will require you to go and buy some aftermarket upper control arms this is to correct the camber issue (aka a 1" of shims and possibly have the bolts hit the exhaust depending on your headers ). If you have any questions please contact me I never did this conversation but had the parts ,then switched my mind to straight up corvette brakes with a ATS AFX spindle

BMR Sales
01-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Will those also fit my 69 Impala?

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...=47&superpro=0 (http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=47&superpro=0)

No!

JustJohn
01-26-2015, 05:51 AM
No!

68 - 71 B bodies really are the kid that never gets picked to play...

HWYSTR
01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Global West makes upper control arms for tall spindles for B bodies, FYI.

Tall spindles with the 'longer' upper control arms do not increase any bumper steer issues, and the bumper steer issues in general is really just a matter of getting used to, most don't ever notice the bump steer.

The bump steer issue can be corrected and almost eliminated by using Bear Trackers, which puts the outer tie rod and a more desirable angle. The 'true' issue with the spindles is the steering arm, FYI. That's why the ATS/AFX spindle has 2 different steering arms depending on the application.

Never use the small bearing tall spindle, the side loads will eat the bearing in short order, especially when using wider wheels and tires.

The difference in braking between the 11" and 12" rotors is nominal, at best, so it really doesn't matter that much going to the 12". Now going to a 13" from a 11" DOES make a noticeable/measurable difference.

If you're going for a 13" or 14" rotor upgrade, it's best to use the AFX-type spindles, because of the bearing. 13s and up generally require 18" or larger wheels, which is the considerable cost hike for the upgrade. Another reason to just go straight to the AFX-type spindles. Furthermore, the upper control arm cost is another reason to go to the AFX-type spindle, since you get the geometry benefits without having to use a tall spindle. Only Global West uppers for tall spindles provide the most geometry improvements when running tall spindles, to my knowledge.

H-O came out with the 'Strong Arm' suspension kits which were based off the F/B tall spindle, and before 'improved' uppers were available, a stack of shims were required to properly align, since the arm needs to be 1" different.

I have 2 cars with tall spindles, one with the original ATS AFX spindles, and one with F spindles. Hands down, the benefits from the geometry of the ATS AFX spindles are superior, although the F/B spindles are a major improvement over stock. If you're going to do brakes too, then it makes no sense not to go to the AFX-type spindle, the hub/bearing plus the geometry are the key reasons.

csouth
01-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Hotchkis also makes uppers for A bodies to use with 2nd Gen For B body spindles.

Shradezz70S
01-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Ok I should have added some more info. I am new to this and kind of overwhelmed. I have the spindles installed with Hotchkis tubular upper A arms and coil over QA1 shocks. Machined out the lower A arms to install the correct lower ball joints, also replaced all bushing with Derlrin. I have a complete Hotchkis front and rear suspension with over sized sway bars. I want to install disc brakes front and rear. I want big breaks up front and have a 5 speed so I will need parking brakes in the rear. One more thing if I go with a 13 inch front disc can I get it with a standard bolt pattern? I know this is a lot of questions but I already bought the wrong rotors and two sets of calipers that will not work do to some poor advice. NOT FROM anyone here...

csouth
01-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Camaro LS1 rears are the easiest to swap with ebrake. Kits are all over ebay and LS1tech. You need the calipers and backing 3plates you'll be all set. Kore3 sells brackets and hubs to mount the C5/C6 calipers to the B body spindles. Call Tobin, he'll get you set up.

www.kore3.com