PDA

View Full Version : tire and wheel advise for 68 chevy....

no1udknow
01-21-2015, 12:59 PM
I don't intend on my truck being either a trailer queen, nor a beauty queen. I was wondering what suggestions you guys have on wheels. Looking for lightweight, and somewhat descent looking. I'll probably paint or powder them black anyways. I am not looking to slap 20's on my truck and make it a DUB ride. I want light wheels to decrease my unsprung weight, with a good traction patch, but not blinged out, and I would prefer to not have to cut the crap out of my truck to fit them.

I would a low end wheel, and a high end wheel suggestion, as the low end set will likely not be my last. I am currently on 15x8 rallys, with 275/60/15s.

Thanks in advance.

bovey
01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
I fire the first question.

5 bolt or 6 bolt?

no1udknow
01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
I fire the first question.

5 bolt or 6 bolt?

right now I have 6 lug, I am running an 85 c10 fron suspension with cpp 6 lug rotors, but I am open to swapping to 5 lug

Justin@EntropyRad
01-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Depends on your style preference in wheels...certain styles come only in 5lug..but with the chevy 5x5 pattern, you can then get adapters to run other more common 5lug wheels, and then the world if your oyster. Spacers from 6 to 5 are available, its just easier to go from a large 5lug to a smaller pattern

PCHRODS
01-22-2015, 06:25 PM
I don't intend on my truck being either a trailer queen, nor a beauty queen. I was wondering what suggestions you guys have on wheels. Looking for lightweight, and somewhat descent looking. I'll probably paint or powder them black anyways. I am not looking to slap 20's on my truck and make it a DUB ride. I want light wheels to decrease my unsprung weight, with a good traction patch, but not blinged out, and I would prefer to not have to cut the crap out of my truck to fit them.

I would a low end wheel, and a high end wheel suggestion, as the low end set will likely not be my last. I am currently on 15x8 rallys, with 275/60/15s.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunetly being a truck we are limited to actual production wheels that bolt on, that offer light weight and a non gaudy appearance. You usually end up having to have something made that fits your style and needs. Don't get me wrong their are wheels out there, but finding what you want and not settling is going to be hard. Since you have established you are running a 6 lug pattern now and willing to change to a 5 lug may help your cause a little. Couple questions for you, what style of wheel are you looking for and what is your budget, this will give me an idea of what direction to send you.

no1udknow
01-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Thanks pchrods, I am going to try and find a 6 lug set first, but those are beautiful rims. I love the simple 5 star look, I will definately keep them in mind.

no1udknow
01-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Unfortunetly being a truck we are limited to actual production wheels that bolt on, that offer light weight and a non gaudy appearance. You usually end up having to have something made that fits your style and needs. Don't get me wrong their are wheels out there, but finding what you want and not settling is going to be hard. Since you have established you are running a 6 lug pattern now and willing to change to a 5 lug may help your cause a little. Couple questions for you, what style of wheel are you looking for and what is your budget, this will give me an idea of what direction to send you. On a side note we are selling the wheels off of our 69 which may be of some interest to you as well. They are a one off wheel we had made by MHT wheels they are 19x10.5 front and 19x11.5 rear, neither will require you to cut anything and will allow you to fit the largest possible tire combo with out rubbing. Up to you but Here's what they look like, if it is email me [email protected]

Rod,
Do you happen to know what the backspacing is on those rims? I am looking at a few 6 lug sets of rims, but I don't know what backspacing I will be able to tuck in the fender under suspension compression, I have heard that the disc brake suspension setup I now have is a touch wider than stock so I will likely need to take some measurements.

PCHRODS
02-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Rod,
Do you happen to know what the backspacing is on those rims? I am looking at a few 6 lug sets of rims, but I don't know what backspacing I will be able to tuck in the fender under suspension compression, I have heard that the disc brake suspension setup I now have is a touch wider than stock so I will likely need to take some measurements.

The fronts are roughly 4.5" back space on a 10.5" wheel. You can get away with 5"-5.5" but check it out first make sure it won't come in contact with suspension parts first like shocks and control arms. I will have to measure the rears I can't remember what back space those were.

Rob

no1udknow
02-10-2015, 05:40 AM
The fronts are roughly 4.5" back space on a 10.5" wheel. You can get away with 5"-5.5" but check it out first make sure it won't come in contact with suspension parts first like shocks and control arms. I will have to measure the rears I can't remember what back space those were.

Rob

Rob,
I saw a video of this truck. It looks like it still sits pretty high, does it have a c-notch?