PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure sending unit mounting

rockdogz
09-13-2004, 09:35 PM
I bought an Autometer electrical oil pressure gauge, and just tried to install the sending unit in the port just behind the distributor on the block (502 motor). However, the sending unit doesn't fit - it's too fat. Is there another place to mount the sending unit, or do I get some braided lines and remote mount it? Or maybe an extension?

Thanks,

zbugger
09-13-2004, 09:56 PM
I went to the local hardware store, got a little short extension, and an elbow. Worked for me. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow....

MrQuick
09-13-2004, 10:35 PM
hey Tom the kit should have come with adapters, but the end should be 1/8" NPT????

rockdogz
09-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks Vince, the kit did come with the right adapter for the hole in the block but because of the trans bellhousing flange/edge of engine block I can't get it close enough to screw it in. I think Allen's on the right track - I'll have to get some extensions/elbows to make it fit. I was curious as to what others had done here because Autometer mentions a remote mount kit with braided hoses but it was hard to find something like this on their website.

Rick Dorion
09-15-2004, 04:00 AM
I put the sender on mine in the front just under the intake manifold. There's a small NPT plug just above the timing cover. It's actually not very noticeable. This was on a small block. Also, I used a braided line to a low-pressure sender for a warning light that I mounted to a T on the firewall. You may want to do this as I don't know if the 502 has the front NPT spot I used.