PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the 2015 rules

Project92rs
01-19-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm reading through the rules and I have a question on the driver classing for the road course. What constitutes a driving school for the purpose of classing? Locally we drive with ProAutoSports and make use of their driving instructors. From this we know the track flags and are improving on reading the line but does this constitute a driving school under the rules?

I also need to do some measurements on the Mecham Aerowing on the car. It was a dealer option when the car was new but may exceed some of the measurements allowed in the aero rules.

USCA 1
01-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Tom, we consider multi-day schools like Bondurant and Skip Barber and others as driving schools. There is typically a curriculum and a certificate at the completion. i would suggest starting out in our intermediate group and if you feel over-qualified, ask us to move up to the expert group. Just for clarification, dealer installed options for the wing/spoiler must fit within the guidelines of the rules measurement - only factory installed wing/spoilers may exceed the measurements.

nokones
01-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Will the new USCA rules allow you to add a front spoiler and hood vents?

DesertFox
01-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Tom, we consider multi-day schools like Bondurant and Skip Barber and others as driving schools. There is typically a curriculum and a certificate at the completion. i would suggest starting out in our intermediate group and if you feel over-qualified, ask us to move up to the expert group. Just for clarification, dealer installed options for the wing/spoiler must fit within the guidelines of the rules measurement - only factory installed wing/spoilers may exceed the measurements.

For what its worth, Tom was referring to the intermediate group rule :
"may have recently attended or graduated a basic course
at an accredited driving school, 3-4 track days per year, familiar with basic track flags,
etiquette, rules and “racing line”, multiple sessions with certified performance driving
instructor."

No way in heck I want anywhere near expert group, but trying to figure out if the experience I have is enough to qualify for intermediate.

Project92rs
01-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Any update? Does the intermediate group require driving school or just the expert group?

USCA 1
02-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Sorry Tom, the intermediate group does not require a driving school, although many of the drivers in the intermediate class have been to instructional sessions like you mention above. If you're comfortable with flags and familiar with racing lines and point-by passing, that's the group for you.

USCA 1
02-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Will the new USCA rules allow you to add a front spoiler and hood vents?

Yes, there are no restrictions on front spoilers and hood vents.

rickpaw
02-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Quick question. I've signed up as novice for Texas event. In reading the rules, it states that helmet/neck restraint device are required for the road course for novice group. I understand the need for helmets and intend to invest in one, but is neck restraint absolutely necessary to run in the novice group, or will it be available for rent at the event? As a newbie, I really hesitant to invest so much $$$ on a first time out.

Smittys
02-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Neck restraints are not very expensive. Your head is.

mpozzi
02-05-2015, 03:10 PM
A neck restraint can be anything from a full-on HANS or a simple "donut" wraparound. While the dedicated head/neck restraint is best, a lot of the folks that run a handful of these events elect to purchase the foam wraparound.

Here's one from Summit Racing that's very affordable and will do the job. ...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/evm-112046-0109/overview/

bbcowboy
02-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Question on full face helmets compared to open face what is the best use? I have seen many of the USCA drivers have full face helmets is it just a preference?

rickpaw
02-05-2015, 03:26 PM
A neck restraint can be anything from a full-on HANS or a simple "donut" wraparound. While the dedicated head/neck restraint is best, a lot of the folks that run a handful of these events elect to purchase the foam wraparound.

Thank you Mary for the link. That will work. I can explain a $36 purchase much better than a $500 to the boss at home. When I searched neck restraint, all results showed the much more expensive version.

Tu

GrabberGT
02-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Per the rules it must be SFI rated. This one does not show up as SFI rated on the Summit site. The good news is that this one is and its even less expensive.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bob-1018/overview/

I have a question about the fire suit. I bought a jacket to use a couple years ago. Can I just buy pants to go with it or does it have to be a suit?

mpozzi
02-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure a two-piece firesuit is acceptable and thanks for the link on the neck brace. Didn't see the SFI requirement before I did my research.

As for the "open vs closed face" helmet debate. If you only get one helmet for the track, get a closed face. If all you'll be doing is Autocross, an open face will be fine. And when you're selecting your helmet, try several on and wear them around for several minutes if you can. Kinda like shoes where different brands fit different feet ... uh, differently.

Mary Pozzi

nokones
02-06-2015, 06:45 PM
As for using a two-piece driving suit, the rules do not state that you can not use a two-piece, it just need to meet the minimum SFI rating. The driving suit minimum requirement is for the intermediate and expert groups. If you are driving in the novice group, the minimum requirement is cotton long sleeves and pants.

nokones
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Question on full face helmets compared to open face what is the best use? I have seen many of the USCA drivers have full face helmets is it just a preference?

If you want full protection from fire during an event on the hot laps, the full face is best for the protection. If you decide to run with an open face on the hot laps, you should wear a head sock and if you have any facial hair it would be wised to do wear the headsock with either style helmet. I guess the eye lashes and brows don't count.

I think everyone just ended up with a full face because the only helmet manufacturer that I have found that produces a "SA" rated open face helmet is Simpson and you have to look hard to find that helmet in the catalog. Shoei use to have a 3/4 face helmet for motor officers but, I don't remember if those helmets are "SA" rated.

CA B4C
02-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I bought a G-force open face helmet from Summit that is SA rated. The shoei's I have are both M rated.

GrabberGT
02-07-2015, 07:03 AM
As for using a two-piece driving suit, the rules do not state that you can not use a two-piece, it just need to meet the minimum SFI rating. The driving suit minimum requirement is for the intermediate and expert groups. If you are driving in the novice group, the minimum requirement is cotton long sleeves and pants.

Yeah... I registered as a Novice. I've only been on track once with no passing. Not that I have plans to be tracking the car often but you never know. and if I do, I'd prefer not to be buying stuff twice.

USCA 1
02-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Chris, the two piece is fine. Looking forward to seeing you there.

GrabberGT
03-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Silly question... "Full-Coverage Leather Shoe" means??? No open-toed leather shoes or has to be like a mid-high top racing shoe?

GrabberGT
03-23-2015, 03:56 AM
Another question about tire tread depth.

Using an actual depth checker on my Falkens, Im right at 2/32 on the inner groove but the outer is almost 4/32. Do they check the outer wear bars or inner as well. How thorough are they?

If I can run these and buy new tires afterwards it would be great. Im sure tire availability is going to improve as soon as the event is over. I'd rather run a sponsor tire if can.

nokones
03-24-2015, 05:36 AM
Another question about tire tread depth.

Using an actual depth checker on my Falkens, Im right at 2/32 on the inner groove but the outer is almost 4/32. Do they check the outer wear bars or inner as well. How thorough are they?

If I can run these and buy new tires afterwards it would be great. Im sure tire availability is going to improve as soon as the event is over. I'd rather run a sponsor tire if can.

The minimum tread depth is 2/32". I would say you are legal to run those tires.