PDA

View Full Version : Well my luck just went from bad to worse.

MonzaRacer
01-14-2015, 04:25 PM
So I sat my scanner out next to back door at work so they could bar the door. Well some guys picking up used tires were out back, I think they stole it.
Such a great day for me, $5000 tool just gone. What a piece of rotten luck.

Hotchkis
01-15-2015, 05:55 AM
That's terrible to hear. Hope you have luck replacing it.

mitch_04
01-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Tools and/or shop aren't insured?

MonzaRacer
01-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Don't own shop and it was sitting outside next too back door. Never would have thought any of those guys would steal like that. But got report, once I get info too snap on it will not be able to be updated and might be traceable other ways.

MonzaRacer
01-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Bad thing is my emergency fund is empty, been toying with crowd funding idea to replace it and set up a fund to help other police documented thefts in auto repair industry. Like techs ripped off, or stolen from.
As long as a tech has police report of stolen item , considering larger items like tool boxes, like mine a scanner, etc either lost due to theft or fire. To help with replacement or repair even.
Just thought.

Jetfixr320
01-17-2015, 05:15 AM
Plenty of scumbags out there. You leave something like that sitting outside. It will grow feet and leave.
Sorry it happened. Hopefully you get it back or the used tire guys come back for the next load. Ask them. Or hit the local pawn shops. And watch Craigslist. It will turn up.

mitch_04
01-17-2015, 06:31 AM
I would start insuring your tools. It's not expensive and would have paid itself off in this situation. Considering a $5000 scanner and that the average mechanic has at least $5000 in tools & tool boxes, it's an investment. The shop I work at has insurance that will cover any stolen tools, or those damaged due to fire/accidents. My wife is a photographer and insures all of her equipment so it is covered in case it gets broken or stolen at photo shoots.

Why did you have your scan tool at work if it isn't a shop? Check with the place you were at, a lot of the time business or home owners insurance will cover these things.

cluxford
01-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Not covered under your home insurance ? Some policies are pretty good on items such as those

mitch_04
01-17-2015, 06:17 PM
My father had a gun stolen out of the vehicle in his driveway, homeowners covered it.

MonzaRacer
01-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh I work for a Midas in Bloomington Indiana, I had intentions of working on my own car with scanner. And if it had been stolen from inside I think the owner might have some recourse with his insurance. BUT since I had set it just outside back door, which while concealed is still outside the door.

MonzaRacer
01-18-2015, 02:59 PM
I would start insuring your tools. It's not expensive and would have paid itself off in this situation. Considering a $5000 scanner and that the average mechanic has at least $5000 in tools & tool boxes, it's an investment. The shop I work at has insurance that will cover any stolen tools, or those damaged due to fire/accidents. My wife is a photographer and insures all of her equipment so it is covered in case it gets broken or stolen at photo shoots.

Why did you have your scan tool at work if it isn't a shop? Check with the place you were at, a lot of the time business or home owners insurance will cover these things.

It is a repair shop. and as for average mechanic having $5000 in tools, uh let me state my TOOL CART ALONE has $26,000 in tools in it.
And my tool box was $6,400 in '98 and to replace now is over $10,000.
So add a zero on that estimate for average tool amounts.
What sucks, I am still paying for it.
Now I am hoping I can talk my boss into helping me get a used one off Ebay to tide me over. Found a couple used ones on there from pawn shops, and stolen ones they wont buy as they get weekly and daily updates of stolen items, they buy stolen stuff, they get in serious trouble, and out of business.

mitch_04
01-19-2015, 10:22 AM
You just solidified my point, if you have that much money in tools you should probably have them insured. Also, it doesn't have to be inside the building for insurance to cover it, just on the property. Also, I said "at least" in my other post, which means the minimum, when referencing the $5k in tools for a mechanic to have.

Not trying to downplay what happened, just trying to keep you from going through it again.

Justin@EntropyRad
01-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Sucks...a buddy had the same thing happen..Tow guys ganked his Modis out of his car

framedoctor
01-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Didn't happen to have security cameras on site?

MonzaRacer
01-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Well I do have pretty decent boss/owner. I didn't take vacation last year, and he has put off upgrading shop scanner because I had my own and I am lead technition/diag tech.
So I talked it over with him as he was telling manger he would pay that much too Snap On dealer if it would help. So I asked since he had been getting by on my tools of he might chip in little if I could find a used scanner on eBay for reasonable amount, then let me pay him back so much each week till paid off.
So he agreed, I just bought Snap On Verdict D7 which is scanner, scope, and tablet all in one. ITchas wireless scanner module that bluetooths too scanner, its larger screen, uses WiFi, has hard drive.
So it is an upgrade, also got software one step newer. And before boss puts his part in it come up a little over $1700 used.
And yes I am looking into some sort of insurance.
So lost $5000 tool, but would up with $8000 one for OK amount.
I guess I can say God provided me an upgrade from someone's dishonesty.
Basically Solid Ultra was $3895.99 + $1029 for European kit. I kept my old obd 1 connectors and now will need to scrounge another set. As this one, I don't believe has them.
Of course eBay is source singles.
Be my luck it comes in and cops will retrieve my Solus Ultra.

mitch_04
01-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Just remember, those kind of people always get theirs in the end.

MonzaRacer
01-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Yeah ,well I just wish some of the good I do came back around. But I am getting better scanner/scope for decent amount.
Time will tell just how much better this Verdict is, from what I have found info wise its jam packed with features. And I will be able to access alldata from sitting in car, no getting out to look stuff up. Score!

mitch_04
01-24-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm sure some good is coming around, it's just hard to notice sometimes. Your boss offering to chip in, for example.

MonzaRacer
01-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Woohoo, this here is post from new/used Snapon Verdict D7. sah-weeet!