PDA

View Full Version : rear axle play in 8.2 BOP 10 bolt after installing rear disc brakes

yody
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I just finished a job, and part of it included doing a rear disc brake swap. The rearend in the car was a 8.2 pontiac 10 bolt. It had press in bearings. I popped the axles off(which took some force) and didn't have to touch the bearings to get off the drum backing plate and put on the disc brake bracket. PUt the axles back in and bolted everything together. The problem is that the axle will go in and out about 1/2" So getting the caliper moutned over the rotor is hard because the axle is moving in and out of the rearend. This was the first time I messed with a press in bearing rearend. Is something worn out or what the heck? thanks!

chicane67
10-11-2005, 08:18 PM
A half inch is pretty bad if your not exaggerating.

To rid your self of the end play, you might have to:

** Install new side gears and shim them to reduce the end play as much as possible.
** Install a new posi which would do the same thing, just cost more.
** Use thicker 'c-clips' in addition to the reshimming of the side gears.
** Make sure you have the correct length axles... there are some that will fit and are 1/2" longer, but from a different chassis.

yody
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
no, its a press in bearing axle, a BOP not c-clips

chicane67
10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok... you mean "press-on" wheel bearings then.

If you have any axle end play with a press-on wheel bearing (well, more than about 0.008-0.010) you have some serious problems.

yody
10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
think i figured it out in my head, the backing plate from drum brakes was really thin, so the retaining plate was closer to flange holding axle in farther, so when put on disc brake bracket which is like 3/8" thick it spaced out the retaining plate farther out, making the axle be able to come out farther..................hmmmmmm so how to fix?????

yody
10-12-2005, 07:13 PM
fixed it nevermind, my idea was right.

Blaster11
10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Yody,

Please share your fix.

Bruce

nitrofish72
05-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Yody,

Please share your fix.

Bruce

Yes, what was the fix? I'm dealing with the same issue

NOT A TA
05-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Nitrofish, good use of the search function but Yody was banned like 5-6 years ago so he's not going to reply. If you start a new thread and post a pic or two someone will probably have an answer for ya. I've had similar issues installing discs that required fabricating something to hold the axle in place but I'd want to see what you have before suggesting anything.