PDA

View Full Version : Owners of a mini-tubbed 2nd Gen F-bodies, please chime in.

kamaro
01-09-2015, 09:44 AM
I have two F-body cars, a '70 Camaro which is already been tubbed and got a fat-a$$ed rear (335 tires on a 12 in. wheels), and a '71 Firebird Formula which I'm currently tubbing. To keep a long story short, I'm now puzzled to see a very different measurements between the two cars, the Camaro got 15.75 in. between the inner wheel tub and the fender lip, while the Firebird got only a 14 in. and that even with a rolled fender lip!, both cars were tubbed exactlty the same way and I even tried to push it more in the Firebird!, the tires that I'm planning to use on the Firebird is about 13.75 in. wide which will creat rubbing problems right away.

For you guys who tubbed your car, whats the distance between your inner fender wall and your fender lip measures?

Your help will be highly appreciated as I'm really having a hard time after spending all the time cutting and welding!!

TIA.

Goosesdad
01-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Just finished installing DSE tubs in my 70. Will measure in the morning and report back.

Goosesdad
01-10-2015, 09:04 PM
A little more than 15" on the passenger side and a little less than 15" on the drivers side.

MuscleRodz
01-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Camaro quarters have a lower lip and a flare on them the Firebird does not. The Firebird will also need to sit 1" lower than the Camaro or it will look like it is sitting too high.

srh3trinity
01-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Camaro quarters have a lower lip and a flare on them the Firebird does not. The Firebird will also need to sit 1" lower than the Camaro or it will look like it is sitting too high.
Agreed. That is why we are cutting and flaring my Firebird and plan on bringing then down and flaring them out.

kamaro
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Its so strange that I just haven't noticed that before despite that my family owned so many 2nd gen F-bodies since the seventies!.

I just came from the body shop and you were very correct, the lip height is higher in the Firebird.

Well, I'll just wait and see how the wide 335 tires would look at the end.

Thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it, especially Goosedad for taking the time to measure his car.

srh3trinity
01-13-2015, 10:47 AM
The Camaro lip flattens out and the Firebird lip is more circular