PDA

View Full Version : Magnacharger Opinions

DJW32
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Magnacharger is coming out with a roots type supercharger for carb. setups. Can anybody think of a reason or reasons not to run this supercharger on a forged 355. Better yet, does anybody have any beef with magnacharger?

WS6
10-11-2005, 06:27 PM
ive installed many magnachargers on mainly vettes but ive done an SSR and an H2. im hoping to do an LS2 SSR soon. The H2 has put about 30k miles on it since the unit was installed. they have had no problems. the performance is fantastic considering this H2 only has the magnacharger plus headers and full exhaust. i never expected a 6800lb vehicle to get up and move like this thing does.

enough of the fun stuff though. i had problems with one of the blowers on an 02 vette. shortly after putting it on it started leaking oil from the bearings which are in th erear for the vette model. called magnuson up and they said they had to have it back. notice im in GA. this car was leaving friday for kentucky and Monday was the day it was removed and shipped to CA to be repaired. I told magnuson i had to have it back by thursday to get it on so the owner could leave friday morning for kentucky. I sent it next day air(thats $250 for that). called them tuesday at midmorning their time, they had just recieved it. they called me back at the end of my day said it was done and leaving and I would have it in the morning. sure enough $250 of their dollars later I had it by 10:30 that next morning(thanks brown). dropped it on and the customer went to kentucky with no issues. couple weeks later and with no rush it started leaking again. this time the nose drive was also replaced instead of just the bearings. they said they had not had this happen before and i believe them as I have not had a single issue with any other unit from them. besdies the blower itself is an Eaton unit. eaton supplies many car manufacturers with their superchagers. AMG mercedes, ford lightnings and cobras and maybe even the GT not sure honestly on that one though. no issues to date after the nose drive was replaced. that was easily 5k miles ago if not more by now. not once did they have any issue with replacing the parts needed. all i had to do was ship it to them and they would fix it and ship it back on their dime.

anyway i think its a good choice. i have never worked with another company that offered such great customer service and offered such a complete and detailed kit. the instructions have colored pictures for almost every step. their tech/support guys know their stuff or can get the info you seek very quickly. they run a very good company over there. i cant say the same for other SC manufacturers though.

now if youve never driven an magnacharged car or another roots blown car your in for a treat. its a kick in the paints. you nail it and your pinned almost instantly. a procharger or vortech kits doesnt hit like this. they need the rpms to build boost. granted it comes on very quckly so its not like a turbo with any lag, but the magnuson gives you everything from the second you floor it. they are fun and look great under the hood too.

im so stoked they make it for the LT1/4 now. i just wish it would fit under the hood of a 4th gen Fbody.

oh and the most important part. i have meet or exceeded their power claims on every vehicle including the H2.

Ackattack
10-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow, that is a great testament to the Magnason

I've been doing research about supercharger/turbo for a LS1 in a 68 camaro. I originally wanted to go with a Magnuson, but I've heard they max out about 540ish RWHP and was thinking about a turbo....after reading this, I might have to consider the magnason again....I guess I could live with 540RWHP (am trying to get to 600RWHP)

Travis B
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
ive installed many magnachargers on mainly vettes but ive done an SSR and an H2. im hoping to do an LS2 SSR soon. The H2 has put about 30k miles on it since the unit was installed. they have had no problems. the performance is fantastic considering this H2 only has the magnacharger plus headers and full exhaust. i never expected a 6800lb vehicle to get up and move like this thing does.

enough of the fun stuff though. i had problems with one of the blowers on an 02 vette. shortly after putting it on it started leaking oil from the bearings which are in th erear for the vette model. called magnuson up and they said they had to have it back. notice im in GA. this car was leaving friday for kentucky and Monday was the day it was removed and shipped to CA to be repaired. I told magnuson i had to have it back by thursday to get it on so the owner could leave friday morning for kentucky. I sent it next day air(thats $250 for that). called them tuesday at midmorning their time, they had just recieved it. they called me back at the end of my day said it was done and leaving and I would have it in the morning. sure enough $250 of their dollars later I had it by 10:30 that next morning(thanks brown). dropped it on and the customer went to kentucky with no issues. couple weeks later and with no rush it started leaking again. this time the nose drive was also replaced instead of just the bearings. they said they had not had this happen before and i believe them as I have not had a single issue with any other unit from them. besdies the blower itself is an Eaton unit. eaton supplies many car manufacturers with their superchagers. AMG mercedes, ford lightnings and cobras and maybe even the GT not sure honestly on that one though. no issues to date after the nose drive was replaced. that was easily 5k miles ago if not more by now. not once did they have any issue with replacing the parts needed. all i had to do was ship it to them and they would fix it and ship it back on their dime.

anyway i think its a good choice. i have never worked with another company that offered such great customer service and offered such a complete and detailed kit. the instructions have colored pictures for almost every step. their tech/support guys know their stuff or can get the info you seek very quickly. they run a very good company over there. i cant say the same for other SC manufacturers though.

now if youve never driven an magnacharged car or another roots blown car your in for a treat. its a kick in the paints. you nail it and your pinned almost instantly. a procharger or vortech kits doesnt hit like this. they need the rpms to build boost. granted it comes on very quckly so its not like a turbo with any lag, but the magnuson gives you everything from the second you floor it. they are fun and look great under the hood too.

im so stoked they make it for the LT1/4 now. i just wish it would fit under the hood of a 4th gen Fbody.

oh and the most important part. i have meet or exceeded their power claims on every vehicle including the H2.

They make one for a LT1???????????
WS6 you have mail

madmax
10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Does anybody have any information on the new carburated system? I was going to go with a Procharger, but now, who know? :)

Max

DJW32
10-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Damn, thanks for the info WS6.

Does anybody have info on the carb setup?

WS6
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
i am unaware of the carb setup but i can make a call tomorrow and see whats up. i imagine it will be packaged like the LT version and that is its for the street rod crowd. its up to you to make it fit under the hood basically. see they tailor their kits for specific vehicles right now. it sound to me thought last time i spoke with them that they are branching out into customs and rods. ill see if i can find out some more info tomorrow.

Bill Howell
10-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I'll let you know what I think about next Wednesday :)

WS6
10-13-2005, 02:36 AM
that looks great bill.

Travis B
10-13-2005, 05:47 AM
I'll let you know what I think about next Wednesday :)

Bill any problems getting it under the hood.....plenty of clearance?????

Bill Howell
10-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Travis,
WELL......................................
I guess things were not too bad considering we were stuffing a new gen.
setup into a 40 year old car, and evidently we are one of the first to do it.
Without the help of Street and Performance, it would be impossible giving the tight deadline we are on. However, the only other one they had done was a bit different so there has been a lot of trial and error. We finally had to have them custom make a power steering bracket that was a reverse image of one they sent because of clearance issues. That thru the belt size off, you know the drill. However, the next early a-body customer will have it easy. I see no way to put these in an a-body without some oil pan modifications, there is just no way to stick a factory pan between the frame and firewall. We did not have to modify the tunnel other than a few licks with a bfh. If I do this again, I will go with the vintage air system because there is about a half inch clearance between the factory a/c box and the coilpacks. That or remote mount everything from the top on the valve covers.
The biggest issue has been where to mount the computer(s). There is no room under the dash now, and I will not have a glovebox. The only other thing we are working out is where to mount the intercooler overflow bottle, since it is supposed to be higher than the intake ports. Not sure what we will do, but we will come up with something.
All in all, I do like the setup, and the support has been great, but like anything you do to these cars, nothing is a true bolt-on. If I have learned nothing else from this experience, I will never try to do this again in such a tight timeframe.

WS6
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
are you using magnusons set up for the intercooler or a similar design? i ask because i dont see why the intercooler resevoir needs to be higher than the intake ports. the resevoir flows into a water pump that then forces the water through the heat exchanger and into the intercooler then back out to the resevoir. i would think if anything the resevoir needs to be lower. im just not seeing it, but i have not done a custom job like this. all i ever did was follow the directions for the most part. i do know that the resevoirs for the cars i have done have all been level or higher than the intake though. thanks

Bill Howell
10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
The instructions say to. I am assuming the reason is because water will flow to level and if you were to mount it lower then try to fill, you would probably have air void issues even with the pump system. I am not really sure, just guessing. :dunno:

WS6
10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
thats a pretty good thought about the air, i hadnt thought of that. i was thinking just the flow of the water. thanks Bill

CarlC
10-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Magnuson has been a customer of mine since they first opened. We sell them all of the bearings except the needle roller bearings used on the aft section of the rotor pack, opposite the gearing.

Magnuson will be the first to tell you that ultimate horsepower is not their goal. Their goal is to have a significant power increase over the entire usable powerband, which is exactly what most street driven cars can benefit most from. WS6 is right, these cars are a blast to drive. Sure, other can, and do, claim higher ultimate HP levels, but that's not always the goal.

The bearings on the LSX nose housings do not have seals. They are lubricated by the oil in the gearcase. There is an outboard seal that takes care of the sealing issues. The jackshaft used on C5 and other aftermarket applications (Bill's) are supported by sealed bearings.

Intake manifold design is critical, especially on the intercooled LSX versions. It is very easy kill the breathing capabilty / tuning of the manifold, as they have tried many variations to get it right. These systems are not under boost most of the time, so getting the best of both worlds is very difficult The cost on the tooling for the LSX manifold system is EXPENSIVE!

The carb setup is not going to fit under and stock hood. It's way too tall. It will fit great for street rod setups, but there are trade-offs when using a carb vs. EFI.

Most of the components used in Magnuson products are designed and manufactured by Magnuson. Some parts are Eaton OEM, but many are custom designed and engineered to fit for particular applications.

madmax
10-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Anybody have any more infor on the carb'ed setup?

CarlC
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
What would you like to know?

madmax
10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
I haven't really seen any literature on it - how much does it cost, how efficient is it, etc. I'm about to boost and was going to go with a Procharger, but it is always nice to know what my other options are. I'm not really into Vortech too much.

Max

WS6
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM
http://magnacharger.com/pr018.htm

here you go.

that price is easily beat by any dealer. magnuson is good about suporting their dealers instead of competing against them.

madmax
10-26-2005, 05:36 PM
http://magnacharger.com/pr018.htm

here you go.

that price is easily beat by any dealer. magnuson is good about suporting their dealers instead of competing against them.

Thanks. I thought I had been to their website, but it was old and outdated?

I guess not. How much horsepower can the system support? For example the P-1SC can support "825" hp in a perfect world, so what kind of real world numbers are we looking at here?

Thanks,
Max

WS6
10-27-2005, 07:18 PM
honestly not sure but i doubt it would get that high. i believe people who were pushing the magnuson to the limits were only getting 550-600 rwhp out of them. that by no means is a bad figure, but like Carl also mentioned, that is not the purpose of the magnuson. overall power is the goal of the magnuson. if i could post pics I could show you a dyno comparison between a Procharged/ corsa 03 M6 C5 and a magnuson/corsa 02 M6 C5. the magnuson has much more down low and the torque curve is very flat. the procharged car is very peaked and does make a lot more peak horse power(~30), but the torque is off by about 30 and is nowhere near as flat.

DJW32
10-29-2005, 10:46 AM
HOT DAMN, THAT LOOKS GOOD! I'm very excited.
What about the intercooler?