PDA

View Full Version : Can I add the tru turn package to my current set up in my 1968 Camaro?

rp0029
01-07-2015, 07:37 PM
I have SPC upper control arms, stock lowers control arms, 2" drop springs, tall upper ball joints and tall outer tie rod ends. I got this stuff from SC&C. I like it very much. I don't want to spend the money for an aftermarket sub.

Rims up front are the old TTII, 17x7s.
I want to get the Forgeline GA3 or GA3R wheels in a 18x10 wide setup in the front. I like the look of the wider tires. From what I understand, a way to do this is to add Ridetech's Tru Turn package. First, is this the only way outside of an aftermarket sub to run 18x10s? Second, which of the components that I currently have will I have to ditch?

Can I just get the upgrade and use my existing spindles and keep my current ride height, or must I buy the spindles?

130fe
01-07-2015, 08:35 PM
What engine/headers are you running?

Schwartz Performance
01-07-2015, 08:39 PM
The truturn is designed to be used with their spindles.

-Dale

rp0029
01-08-2015, 04:25 AM
What engine/headers are you running?

An LQ4 with mid length headers.

Rod
01-08-2015, 08:45 AM
I have SPC upper control arms, stock lowers control arms, 2" drop springs, tall upper ball joints and tall outer tie rod ends. I got this stuff from SC&C. I like it very much.
thats nice you like your stuff but ....no ...you can just add the tru-turn...you have to remove some contradicting items

tall upper ball joints and tall outer tie rod ends.

Tall ball joint needs to go they are not tall enough, yea it helped (and its a cheap, quick fix, that's why many push them) but camaros need more than a ball joint to fix how jacked up the suspension is........tall outer tie rod ends push the steering arms down in to the rim area...its the wrong way...for fat rims

I like the look of the wider tires. From what I understand, a way to do this is to add Ridetech's Tru Turn package.

yes

is this the only way outside of an aftermarket sub to run 18x10s?

there are other ways, I had a tru-turn style setup before, but it required custom steering arms, a custom welded drag link,and I spent months setting it up and testing

Can I just get the upgrade and use my existing spindles and keep my current ride height, or must I buy the spindles?

its designed to use ridetechs TALL spindles

rp0029
01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone! So Rod I will have to ditch the upper ball joints for regular ones. Obviously the longer tie rod ends will be replaced by the kit, but I can keep the SPC adjustable upper control arms, right?
Now the springs will probably have to be replaced as well with stock height springs because the drop is cumulative, right?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Rod
01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
can keep the SPC adjustable upper control arms, right?

yes you can keep them

Now the springs will probably have to be replaced as well with stock height springs because the drop is cumulative, right?

you can run a Mr gasket spring spacer (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-1287/)under the hotchkis spring, I ran a spacer under my Hotchkis spring with the drop spindle for testing and racing for about 2 months while fabricating lower control arms, the Hotchkis spring has a good rate

rp0029
01-09-2015, 05:55 AM
It was also suggested to me that I could run z/28 steering arms and ditch the longer outer tie rods, which would also allow me to run 18x10 wheels up front. Anybody have any insight with this? Will that work?

Rod
01-09-2015, 07:22 AM
It was also suggested to me that I could run z/28 steering arms and ditch the longer outer tie rods, which would also allow me to run 18x10 wheels up front. Anybody have any insight with this? Will that work?

yes Z-28 arms will work.....good luck finding them...I tested my z-28 arms and a 10 wheel does fit that's how my tru-turn copy(actually mine was built before the truturn) started but there is still a TON of bump steer....so I custom built a centerlink and relocated the inner ball joint...and modified the stock steering arms till the bump was reduced to the point I couldn't feel the affect while driving.....Global west used to manufacture a 1st gen camaro setup they called a Cat 5 it use some custom tube arms, 2nd gen spindles with the brake brackets modified for rear steer and a custom drag/center link, of course they don't make that any more(its been like 10 years), it had great caster/camber gains and almost no bump steer but was SUPER freakin expensive

the reason I mentioned all this is the wider the tire the more pronounced the bump steer will be and the more the car will track..(follow ruts in the road) so you want to reduce the bump as much as possible