PDA

View Full Version : Door Skins - Adhesive or Weld or Both?

mklinger
01-07-2015, 09:21 AM
I have prepped the door shells with two coats of epoxy. The door skins have the black EDP coating. It seems I have a few choices before I put these together and looking for some consensus on the best course of action.

Choices as I see it >

1- Remove EDP and epoxy at weld points, coat with weld through primer and plug weld around the door as done by the factory. No adhesive, just trusting the epoxy and primer coats for corrosion, welding for structure.
2- Remove all EDP and Epoxy down to bare metal at the hem and use 3M or SEM panel adhesive between skin and shell, apply weld through primer and plug weld after assembly. Dependent on the adhesive costing for corrosion and the welding plus adhesive for structure.
3- Remove all EDP and Epoxy down to bare metal at the hem and use 3M or SEM panel adhesive between skin and shell, assemble and use no plug welding. Dependent on adhesive for structure and corrosion resistance.
4- ??

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks.

dhutton
01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
This is what I did and I had no issues.

Remove all EDP and Epoxy down to bare metal at the hem and use 3M or SEM panel adhesive between skin and shell, assemble and use no plug welding. Dependent on adhesive for structure and corrosion resistance.

Don

redss86
01-08-2015, 10:40 AM
I work at a GM dealership body shop. We use a 3" sander on the inside of the skin, and on the shell flange. Then we use panel adhesive on both pieces, and hammer the hem over. Allow the adhesive to dry the recommended time, then clean up inside edge and seen deal all the way around. We use SEM multi-purpose panel adhesive, but any major brand will work, as long as it's a two part epoxy. Same with the sealer.