PDA

View Full Version : Variable effort steering

427v8
10-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Has anyone tried, or succeded, in getting variable effort steering to work in a power system?
It doesn't actually seem that hard, GM has an Electronically Variable Orifice to do just that that is used on trucks and such.
It screws into the back of a Saginaw pump even.
So all that is needed would be a controller...

If this is new ground, cool but if someone has already done it cooler yet!

KEith

Chevy350
10-11-2005, 10:15 AM
It also consists of a steering wheel rate/position sensor on the steeringcolumn, but I don't know about the controller. It MAY be incorporated into a ABS- or Body control module, either way retrofitting is probably a little hassle to do sucessfully.

EDIT: And of course a vehicle speed sensor signal is needed...

USAZR1
10-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Flaming River's new steering box is advertised as having variable effort.

427v8
10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Yea the new vetts need the steering input, but it doesn't actually need to be connected to the steering...

Flaming rivers pump isn't truely speed sensitive, It's Engine RPM sensitive. So if you have an overdrive tranny boost goes way up when the TC locks up.

I'm pretty sure I can design my own controller that would just use the signal from the VSS or an addon VSS for those of us with a Mechanical Speedo.
No steering input.
Maybe a manual adjust tho.

MuscleRodz
10-11-2005, 09:31 PM
If I remember right my '90 IROC had variable rate steering. As system pressure increased with rpm, the steering stiffened up. When cruising in town, easy to make turns. It was very stable and always loved to drive that car.

Mike

parsonsj
10-12-2005, 08:03 AM
My 91 Taurus SHO had it too. It was a handful turning in as engine speed dropped, a little blip on the throttle, and downshifting all affected engine rpm, which affected steering effort. I disconnected it.

Perhaps newer systems using VSS would be better, but even that with lots of trail braking could have the feel of non-linear response as vehicle speed came down dramatically going into a turn.

jp

427v8
10-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Good point!
Looks like an on off switch is required!