PDA

View Full Version : BBC or SBC for autocross/touring??

no1udknow
01-02-2015, 08:43 AM
I am debating on whether I should stick a 454 in my 68 c10 or keep my built 350. I was considering the difference in weight and how it would effect my weight balance. I like the torque of the BBC, but putting it to the ground could be difficult in such a light rear end. I was also thinking about braking and how eventually I will need to upgrade from the cpp 6 lug rotors and factory 85' c10 calipers I am running. If anyone is running a big block, let me know what you think of it, thanks.

1969CamaroRS
01-02-2015, 11:48 AM
You might look at an LS3 decent gas mileage, reliability and power.

Todd in Vancouver
01-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I went trough the same debate and ended up with a really nice small block. Now lookiing back I wish I had done a LS build. Even a mild one can take turbos later and be a beast all while being lighter than a SBC and make more power than most BB.

Do the LS and if you want a nice SBC let me know because I would pull mine for the right offer so I could go LS.

BigJoe29
01-02-2015, 10:35 PM
from what i seem to read EVERYWHERE, if your budget oriented go iron block 6.0 LS build. If you want lightweight go LS1 or LS3. LS1's are everywhere and can be built pretty stout. the iron 6 liters are cheap and at most wrecking yards these days if you look in the right places. I'm going big block in my c10 just for nostalgia but the camaro is getting a LS

WallaceMFG
01-03-2015, 11:18 AM
You could always start off with your small block since you already have it and change it later if you don't like it. It would let you get a feel for how the truck drives without having so much power you spin out all the time

no1udknow
01-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Yeah, the engine I currently have is supposedly a well built sbc. But ithas some issues that make me question if I should tear it apart. If im going to do that, I might as well do a swap.

camrat68
01-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Honestly if I were you I would go with an LS-based truck block. You can make as much torque as my mild BBC makes (597hp/575ft-lbs) and get far better balance front to rear as well as better fuel economy.

-Jim

brawls43
01-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Yeah I'd look at LS based. If you're really concerned with weight distribution, do an aluminum block. You could even start with an aluminum 5.3L, like an L33. They can built for some pretty good power, and less expensive then LS1/3/6's. A less expensive 6.0L aluminum option is the engine out of the Pontiac G8.

nokones
01-06-2015, 04:47 PM
If you are just getting the groceries, size matters. If you want to autocross than weight matters. You want to keep the weight off the front if you want it to turn in better. I would definitely drop in an all aluminum with fuel injection. I high recommend that you do your homework on deciding which generation engine you want to go with. Depending the torque and horsepower you are trying to achieve be careful on which SBC you end up using. Make sure that the block will take the stress.

If you elect to go LS, make that you have everything you need to do the complete conversion.

If you want to produce mega horsepower and want to stay with a SBC you might want to look into a Donovan, Brodix, or Billy Mitchell Products aluminum engine block. You might be able to find an used block on racingjunk.com