PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler/Radiator Question

mike67cam
10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a question about a suitable location for an integral oil cooler in a radiator. Assuming a standard single pass Chevy style radiator, can (should) the oil heat exchanger be placed in the hot (driver side) tank? Other radiators I have seen that include an oil cooler are a double pass design with the oil heat exchanger in the warm tank. (I say warm tank because the coolant would have already made one of the two passes through the radiator.)

The reason I ask this is I am looking for a custom radiator for my 67. I briefly spoke with the folks at Ron Davis (very helpful) and they have a double pass design that was built for another first gen Camaro that would probably work. However, after closer inspection and numerous measurements, I figured that routing the top radiator hose would be a real challenge due to the location of my accessories. A single pass would be the way to go for my application.

Assuming the oil should be 15-20 degrees hotter than coolant temperature, it would seem that an exchanger in the hot side of a single pass would work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Randy67
10-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Mike, My wife's 98 Jimmy 4.3L 4x4 has the oil cooler in the hot side of the radiator. It seems to work pretty well. I have seen it the same way on other GM cars as well, just can't remember which models.
Randy

CarlC
10-11-2005, 07:41 PM
You may want to check my website and look for the picture that shows the upper radiator hose + dual pass radiator. I can take measurements if it would be helpful.

chicane67
10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Youll want to do a dual pass core and put the cooler in between cores.

Carls C's set up is the cats meow for exactly what you are look to accomplish.... and with out a $1000+ price tag.

Alumitech Reproductions
10-15-2005, 03:56 AM
This is a post from another site on dual pass rads ( fyi )

Never buy multi-pass radiators for your street machines but instead purchase their single-pass ones. multi-pass radiators are made for constant high rpms and are very inefficient on the street compared to single-pass designs.

"racing doesn't translate to the street" in this case.

On the e.o.c almost all rads I have seen and most O.E.M radiators
have the E.O.C on the hot tank the side the collant flows to from the manifold ( inlet side ) there must be a reason ?

Don

derekf
10-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Don: Looks like you posted the wrong link (I took it out to avoid confusion) - do you have a link to the post from the other site you were referring to?

Can you give any details as to why whoever made the post claimed that multipass radiators were inefficient on the street? And what they meant by "e.o.c"?

mike67cam
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Can you give any details as to why whoever made the post claimed that multipass radiators were inefficient on the street? And what they meant by "e.o.c"?

I think e.o.c. is referring to an engine oil cooler. I too would like the link. I know of at least on member with a street driven car using a double pass with excellent results.

porschev8
10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
edit

porschev8
10-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Don: Looks like you posted the wrong link (I took it out to avoid confusion) - do you have a link to the post from the other site you were referring to?

I thought that quote sounded familiar! You found it on Chevytalk.com. About two years ago I got into a huge discussion over double-pass radiators with a couple guys that had "thermo-engineering backgrounds". That was a good thread.

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=726913&page=&fpart=all&vc=1