PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box Options

Pzary3233
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I need to address some issues with my steering box on the '68 Firebird. In years past I have always been told to find a steering box from a 77 or 78 WS6 Trans Am. However there was another tread on here for using an IROC Box. So I was wondering what you guys thought of different options for a first gen? If Possible I would like to get away from the WS6 box because you cannot visually tell whether or not the box is truely a WS6 box or not. Also, with the IROC box do you have to worry about metric to standard adaptors or anything?

Thanks!

rohrt
10-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I sent mine to Lee http://www.leepowersteering.com I think....

You send him the original box and they change out the internals. It may cost a little more then a junk yard piece but you don't have to chase down any parts to make it work and you know the guts are new. I think it is a 12:1 ratio. So its tighter then both a WS6 box and a GN/MonteSS box. My .02

airrj1
10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Paul,

Checkout: http://www.corvettefaq.com/A-car.asp

These are papers written by a member of Team Chevelle, Jim Shea. He is a retired Saginaw Engineer. They are very helpful when looking for interchanges. The "A+F Car Fast Ratio Steering Upgrade" talls allot about the differences between years. And then the F body, A body, and B body lists that are below that tell you what boxes can on each car. Including the total travel, effort ratio, and T-bar size.

Jim is very helpful and willing to answer questions. If he doesn't know an answer, allot of the time he will find out from someone still at Saginaw.

Good Luck.

MuscleRodz
10-11-2005, 09:35 PM
IROC box is metric and you need to know whether it was removed from a car with 15" or 16" as the turning radius' are different

Mike

TitoJones
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I sent mine to Lee http://www.leepowersteering.com I think....

You send him the original box and they change out the internals. It may cost a little more then a junk yard piece but you don't have to chase down any parts to make it work and you know the guts are new. I think it is a 12:1 ratio. So its tighter then both a WS6 box and a GN/MonteSS box. My .02

I second this option. Tom Lee is the best in the industry.

Tyler

jwcarguy
10-30-2005, 09:57 PM
What about the new Saginaw 600 series 12 to 1 boxes? I've heard that they "feel like a rack and pinion" but alot less than a rack conversion. I would find out from the members here, with their experince with them over a junkyard aprt, a rebuilt unit or a new 600 series box. Compare the costs, your budget and the most important, what do you want out of your car. I've seen DSE carries the new 600 series box for about $490 & up, also CPP (classic performance products) advertises it for $399 Let me know what you find out! I'll be looking to upgrade mine real soon also!68 Camaro SS 427/700R4 Resto-mod to Pro-Touring

chicane67
10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
I think you mean 670 series.........

and yes..... that would be a LEE power steering thing.

jwcarguy
10-30-2005, 11:06 PM
What is the correst "model" 670 or is it just advertised on DSE as a 600 because it is a Delphi Saginaw 600 series? How are the 670/ 600 series new box compared to sending an old box to Lee? I think that someone with your experience could give us a honest opinon on this! By the way I just checked out your website and saw that we're neighbors! The 50/50 car is awesome!! Gives me some ideas for my 68! Thanks for the help for both of us, don't want to crash a post.