PDA

View Full Version : when installing a Dana 44 or other IRS...

WS6
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
just something i was thinking about and wanted clarification on if possible. if your installing a dana44 in the back of a previous solid axle car how do you determine what height the rear end is set to? im meaning do you simply install the center section so that the crossmember is set against the rear frame rails or do you build brackets to allow it to drop below the frame in such a manner that the pinion angle is level or a little positive.

sorry if my question is confusing. i can picture what im talking about in my head easily. my thoughts are that the rear end hieght is set so that the driveshaft is level or downward sloping slightly. the ride height is easily adjusted with coil overs or the transverse spring.

the hubs need to be set so that the control arms are level or sloping downward as well. adjustable control arms will take up needed adjustments.

how far off am I on all this? thanks

10Seconds
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Not really sure since a Dana 44 is a solid axle...

See:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

WS6
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
no the Dana 44 im refering to is the rearend used in all manual transmission vettes from 85-96. the dana 36 was used in all 84 vettes and all automatic vettes from 85-96. i guess they make more than one style dana 44.

thanks though, i do appreciate it.

estamato
10-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi, I am trying a similar setup.

From what I undestand you want the half shaft to be parallel to the ground.

Exact measurements? Not sure I just got my rear end a wek ago and haven't mocked up anything yet.

I do know that Wayne due has a IRS kit he sells, and I believe others here have used this setup before so maybe give wayne a call, or try out his kit. I think this is the way I am going to go.

Cheers

Tiger
10-11-2005, 04:59 AM
I am in the process of installing a Dana 44 Corvette c4 rearend in my chevelle now and I had a friend measure at which angle the halfshaft were on a c4 corvette sitting on the wheels, if I remember right it was 5deg down at the wheel but I have it written down somewhere if you need it excactly.
I'll just install it at the same angle in my car.

André