PDA

View Full Version : DSE Steering Rack leaking

TheJDMan
12-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know what steering rack DSE supplies with their sub frames? I have been chasing an oil leak for awhile now and I have finally eliminated all the other sources of oil and the one remaining leak is actually coming from the steering rack it's self. I have never worked on a rack and I don't know if the rack is even serviceable. In any case I need to either repair or replace the rack I'm pretty sure it is a Ford but I need to identify exactly what part number it is.

Z06vet
12-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I know that Turn One will service the rack for you. http://www.turnone-steering.com/ I have dealt with them on several occasions and have been pleased with them. DSE advertises the rack as having their "tuned" valving. Not sure what is done to it, but might be worthwhile having the DSE one serviced so there are no issues once reinstalled. Scott

MuscleRodz
12-28-2014, 12:38 PM
unless you have an early sub, the DSE racks are now specific built for their subs. I would call DSE and discuss it with them

TheJDMan
12-28-2014, 03:04 PM
I apparently have an earlier DSE sub frame, I took a closer look at the rack and it does have a Ford logo cast in the housing and the number RF-EOBC-3550-AA is also cast in the housing. I have emailed DSE, just waiting for a reply. Doing a search of that casting number turned up a lot of info including that it is a Mustang rack but they are apparently available in several ratios. Last year I was having an issue with the car not setting level and when I contacted DSE they determined I had their early style stamped front sway bar arms and they sent me a new set of cast arms and all was well. Now it looks like I have an early rack as well. Hopefully they will swap it out like they did the arms.

TheJDMan
12-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I called DSE and my rack is out of warranty. So I pulled the leaking hard line off the rack and discovered this is an early design Ford rack which apparently has a nylon washer sealing system that Ford no longer sells parts for. So it looks like I'm in the market for a new rack. Does anyone know what ratio the DSE rack is, their description only says 2.5 turns lock to lock. I see racks with 15:1 and 20:1 ratios. Which ratio is quicker and which one do I want, any recommendations?

dontlifttoshift
12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
You won't find a new rack at the parts store, they will all be reman.

You will want the quicker ratio at 15:1.

I assume the price is keeping you from buying one from DSE? This would be my second choice then, http://www.agrperformance.com/Hot-Rod-AGR-Performance.htm

The biggest difference between the two is the DSE rack is designed to run on 3 GPM and most Fox body racks run on 2 GPM.

nokones
12-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure who the supplier is for DSE. It is my understanding if it is a remanufactured rack it was probably remanufactured by Lone Star Industries. So far I have not had any problems with a Lone Star Industries unit.

TheJDMan
12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
I was actually looking at the AGR racks, I just don't know which one I need. When I called DSE the tech told me their rack is 20:1 ratio which I suspected at the time was inaccurate. I am currently in the process of removing my rack to measure some other critical dimensions so I can order one from AGR.

dhutton
12-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I was actually looking at the AGR racks, I just don't know which one I need. When I called DSE the tech told me their rack is 20:1 ratio which I suspected at the time was inaccurate. I am currently in the process of removing my rack to measure some other critical dimensions so I can order one from AGR.

The new DSE rack is 20:1.

Don

TheJDMan
12-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Intersting, all it says on the DSE rack description is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Is a 20:1 rack equivalent to 2.5 turns? Now I'm even more confused about which rack I need.

dhutton
12-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Intersting, all it says on the DSE rack description is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Is a 20:1 rack equivalent to 2.5 turns? Now I'm even more confused about which rack I need.

It would seem to me that the number of turns lock to lock is determined by the ratio and the amount of travel of the rack.

If it were me I would just buy the replacement rack from DSE. Are they not willing to sell you one?

Don

David Pozzi
12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I was told DSE uses a slightly shorter steering arm with a 20:1 rack. I don't have a DSE sub nearby to check on lock to lock. We have a new DSE rack with 3 autocrosses on it that Mary might want to sell. We switched to a 15:1 rack with her Art Morrison sub. We felt the 20:1 was too slow.

Is yours the type that seals with an O ring at the top of the threads?
I had good luck using AN fittings with thin O rings and used red Loctite on the threads.

TheJDMan
12-30-2014, 10:11 PM
The hard line fittings on the rack seem to be where my leak is and from what I am told they can be very problematic to seal. For the immediate future, I have attempted to reseal them and see if that will work until I can recover from holiday expenses.

Which ratio to use is the issue I'm now researching. I don't have a problem buying a DSE rack but what I am trying to decide is if I want 20:1 or do I take this opportunity to go to a 15:1. Before I spend any money I want to make sure I am going to be happy with the ratio. I like the way the car currently drives and I assume my current DSE supplied Ford rack is 20:1 but I wonder if it could be better.

Has Mary driven the 15:1 ratio on the street and just for reference how many turns is it lock to lock? I'm very curious how a 15:1 feels around town and on the hiway. I'm also curious how drastic the change is from 20:1 to 15:1. Any feedback would be appreciated!

vannatta20
01-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Jb weld if all else fails.

iadr
01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
My opinion, and it's probably not going to match others', is that you do not want a 15:1 rack.

My background is pure street. By using a slower rack (higher number) you are able to make finer corrections. This is handy in less than 9/10-10/10 driving. You are also able to more accurately detect when the tire start to scuff/slip ("slip angle").

Some, used to video games, and having a more is better concept, prefer a fast rack. Really, they are good for two things- tight autocross circuits, and cruising while steering with one hand. In every other instance, they are inferior.

I've written here before f an example of a Hyundai car made to impress the magazine writers with how "sporty it feels". They had a 12.7 ratio, and on snowy roads were wholly dependent on the safety-nanny traction control, because you good not make fine enough judgements about what the tires were doing, and subsequent fine enough corrections.

The big names we already recognizing this, and making variable ratio racks. I am not sure if any mass market cars feature variable racks as yet. MB and Porsche, and maybe the new (TTV6) Nissan Skyline do.