PDA

View Full Version : OMG - NEW USCA Rules - They Are Awesome

Ron Sutton
12-24-2014, 09:40 AM
My hats is off to the USCA guys & gals. They created great events people flocked to, listened to the participants, made classes for different levels of cars, got the aerodynamics in hand, improved safety & continue to make this series better.

See the new rules HERE (http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/2015-rules-optimas-search-ultimate-street-car/).

:Cheers:

woodside783
01-14-2015, 08:35 AM
agreed

sccacuda
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Very happy to see the weight up and the wings down...might actually have some true street cars be competitive.

Ron Sutton
01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Very happy to see the weight up and the wings down...might actually have some true street cars be competitive.

Me too. It is a good move for ProTouring cars.

:cheers:

WallaceMFG
01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Does anybody know why they don't allow multiple drivers in the same car? My dad, brother, and I want to go to an event when our car's ready, but it kinda sucks that only one of us could drive the event.

Ron Sutton
01-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Does anybody know why they don't allow multiple drivers in the same car? My dad, brother, and I want to go to an event when our car's ready, but it kinda sucks that only one of us could drive the event.

IMHO ... although this probably isn't your goal ... some would use that opening in the rules to put the best driver in for each segment. But that's just an opinion ... which that and $3 will make a down payment on a cup of coffee.

Craig510
01-14-2015, 01:24 PM
The weight rule is hard on us compact ford guys. We will all be adding ballast to hit the 3200# min. It will help with the weight balance though.

72BBSwinger
01-14-2015, 02:20 PM
No fiberglass hoods?

BMR Sales
01-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Good thing they aren't coming back to Sebring! 3200lbs - I'd have to add another car to my car as I'm about 1700 lbs with a Full Cage!

modernbeat
01-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Me too. It is a good move for ProTouring cars.

I highly doubt the lack of wings will make ProTouring cars competitive. Segregating them into their own protected class away from late model Corvettes, Porsche GT3s and lightweight EVOs with launch control might make the ProTouring cars competitive.

lxmodguy
01-17-2015, 08:26 PM
im going to make sure im at least 3201#, may have to add some subwoofers in the trunk

72BBSwinger
01-17-2015, 08:55 PM
OK looks like a glass hood is fine as long as it is a stock replica, but no Nitromethane? Big Daddy has been considering coming to play with you guys ya know? Sheesh....

nokones
01-18-2015, 06:15 AM
My take on the new aero rules is that venting the hood and/or adding a front spoiler could be considered an aero modification that is not allowed by the new rules. I have a feeling that USCA will invoke rule #42 on you if you do have hood vents and/or a front spoiler. If that is the case, looks like a bunch of guys will need to plug up or remove their hood vents unless there were installed by the factory.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of not allowing the aero stuff. I prefer the original looks of the vehicle rather than adding a bunch of after-market aero stuff on a vehicle.

I think the new rules are good and I am looking forward to running the series this year. Unfortunately, my car may not be ready for the first event and Thunder Hill is only an hour away for me. I wished that this event was later in the year. The month of May would have been a good month for running an event at Thunder Hill.

Ron Sutton
01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
No fiberglass hoods?
To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on any body materials. It just needed to start life as a production car.

Good thing they aren't coming back to Sebring! 3200lbs - I'd have to add another car to my car as I'm about 1700 lbs with a Full Cage!
What kind of hot rod do you have that is 1700#?

im going to make sure im at least 3201#, may have to add some subwoofers in the trunk
Another reason to order the DOUBLE cheeseburger. LOL

OK looks like a glass hood is fine as long as it is a stock replica, but no Nitromethane? Big Daddy has been considering coming to play with you guys ya know? Sheesh....
It doesn't need to be a stock replica. You can put any hood style on your car you want.

My take on the new aero rules is that venting the hood and/or adding a front spoiler could be considered an aero modification that is not allowed by the new rules. I have a feeling that USCA will invoke rule #42 on you if you do have hood vents and/or a front spoiler. If that is the case, looks like a bunch of guys will need to plug up or remove their hood vents unless there were installed by the factory.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of not allowing the aero stuff. I prefer the original looks of the vehicle rather than adding a bunch of after-market aero stuff on a vehicle.

I think the new rules are good and I am looking forward to running the series this year. Unfortunately, my car may not be ready for the first event and Thunder Hill is only an hour away for me. I wished that this event was later in the year. The month of May would have been a good month for running an event at Thunder Hill.
I'd better clarify. After talking with the USCA guys about this specifically. It is my understanding ... that they don't want to stifle creativity. They just want to keep the rear wings & spoilers from getting so out-of hand, insane no one would look at these at street cars. Frankly, they're still allowing for some pretty good size rear wings & spoilers.

The rest of the car is wide open as far as aero is concerned. You can run front airdams, splitters, side splitters, ground effects, vortex generators, hood vents, side vents, ducts, ducks, geese, mallards, chickens, etc. They wisely recognized by simply limiting the rear spoiler or wing size ... people can't get too obscene with aero aids in the front & middle ... and still get the car to handle well. So they wrote the rules quite simple & literal. I spent an hour or so going over aero details with them ... and running samples by them ... and the rules are quite fair, simple & common sense.

IMHO, there are significant grip gains to be had with a well designed aero package. This will provide a little faster lap times in autocross & easily measured lap time gains on the road course portion. But the cars won't be so over the top they look like Transformer cars. I feel they're just trying to keep it sane & save us from ourselves. LOL

lxmodguy
01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
I guess I didn't read close enough. My car has a fiberglass max wedge hood and fiberglass decklid and bumpers. I am not going to have any problems with any of that am I in the vintage category?

Ron Sutton
01-18-2015, 01:25 PM
I guess I didn't read close enough. My car has a fiberglass max wedge hood and fiberglass decklid and bumpers. I am not going to have any problems with any of that am I in the vintage category?

Not at all. You can run any material body panels you want.

CA B4C
01-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Below is a copy of the second paragraph of the rules:

These rules are intended to encourage the spirit of a safe and fun event. The USCA
understands that not everyone will like the rules or play nicely with others, therefore we have
rule #42. If the rules do not specifically say participants CAN do something, participants
probably CANNOT do it. Please visit www.driveUSCA.com for event specific supplemental
rules.

This language seems similar to the SCCA rulebook. In the Stock and Street Prepared classes the rules are written to allow specific modifications, and these allowances are spelled out in the rules.

How will the second sentence be interpreted by USCA?

nokones
01-18-2015, 09:12 PM
According to the Jan 5 revision of the rules, they loosen up on the decal rule.

USCA 1
01-21-2015, 05:47 AM
Ron is correct, the aero restrictions are limited to the rear wing/spoiler of the car. Thanks Ron for the clarification and succinct explanation.

Yes, we also relaxed the decal rule, the original had some unintended consequences.