PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

engine_ear
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi all, I have frequented this site for probably the last three years, but this is my first posting. I bought my car after college once I had some money for the first time in my life - best decision I ever made. I wanted a hobby that took me away from the life of screens (tvs, computers) now that I am on a screen all day long for work; and I haven't looked back. With all the information online to support the various projects and great lessons-learned, its hard not to attempt things first yourself; and this site has been a great source for me and a fun read during my lunch's at work:

I bought a '70 Pontiac Lemans Sport with a 400/TH400 with virtually no in-depth hands on experience; and drove it the 3 hours home that next day. Since then with the help of the internet I have replaced the 2 bbl with an edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 4 barrel. I have replaced various non-working parts, lights, handles, etc. I have given it a front disc brake conversion, and replaced all brake lines to SS. The front suspension is all new with polyurethane bushings. I also replaced the 2.73 10-bolt open posi rear with 3.42 gears and a posi unit and freshened up the rear with polyurethane bushings and new shocks/springs (arms were out of the budget, but I cleaned them up). It also sits on new wheels/tires. Next up is my first go at bodywork. The finished product is what drives me; but the learning, hands on work, and driving it after each upgrade is freakin sweet. (AndrewB70 - read a lot of your stuff, thanks for posting what you know).

Thanks All - Eric

newmexicosaint
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Man sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Keep up the work and post some pics of your progress.

minendrews68
11-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah, we all like pictures. Congratulations and welcome aboard..

engine_ear
11-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Here is my car the day I bought it;

Here was my first project (4 bbl); I did this in my apt. parking lot at the time at nights so I wouldn't get in trouble for doing car "maintenance" in the parking lot when the staff was there. No one complained of the mess like I was worried about, but actually I met a lot of my neighbors this way:

I drove it to my new house on leaky drums and it parked until I got settled; then here is my front end/front disc brake conversion:

Then I finished my upgrade rear end last year (after finally figuring out what it was with some help from George Nenadovich at http://www.buickperformanceclub.com ) (it is an 8.5" 10 bolt btw):

Here it is as it sits today:

Im always looking for the next project, but have been afraid to dive into the motor/tranny as they are still running relatively strong. I figure bodywork is next in order to learn; suppose I will see how that goes.