PDA

View Full Version : Bolting rear suspension together ... for real

parsonsj
10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm about to bolt up my 9 inch center section to the housing. I've got a gasket. Is that enough? Or should I use some supplementary gasket sealer? I just don't have much experience with this particular part of the car ... the last time I bolted in a center section was an 8 3/4 mopar in my 73 Vega. In 1981.

Any experience out there? If you recommend gasket sealer, what brand?

jp

Damn True
10-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Just a tiny bit of RTV to make up for any imprefections in the mating surfaces.

parsonsj
10-07-2005, 05:46 AM
a tiny bit of RTV to make up for any imprefections in the mating surfaces

DT, I appreciate the response. Certainly your statement is universally true, and I'll likely use my old favorite gasket sealer. But I was looking for anecdotal evidence: I've found that without gasket sealer, my 3rd member installs nearly always leak, or I've never used gasket sealer and never had a problem, or Ford 9 inch 3rd members are notorious for leaks.

Anybody?

jp

Damn True
10-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Ok, hows this:
When I install a diff cover or 3rd member I use just a tiny bit of RTV to make up for any imprefections in the mating surfaces because if I don't, it usually leaks.

parsonsj
10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
he he. Fair enough, DT. Thanks. I assume you are using the RTV on both sides of the gasket?

jp

MuscleRodz
10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
What type of material is the gasket made from? There are newer gasket materials out there that are silicon impregnated and do not require gasket dressing.

If it is the standard black gasket I would use Permetex Aviation #3 gasket sealer. It is non hardening and works great. I use it a bunch. Not to mention I hate silicon and only use it when I need to.

Mike

parsonsj
10-08-2005, 04:54 AM
I've got a paper gasket as supplied by Moser. Pretty cheap looking. No black or silicon. I'll be making a trip to Pep Boys today, it seems.

jp

JamesD
10-08-2005, 07:29 AM
On my moser 9 I put it on dry and it leaked a little, no drips but you could see that the part of the gasket sticking out was soaked with fluid. This last time I put rtv on the housing side of the gasket and I have not had any probelms with it.

MrQuick
10-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi guys,
The problem with the cheap paper gaskets is it acts as a wick over time and older fluid will seep through...i stopped using gaskets and went to using straight Mopar gray sealer. no more leaks.

zbugger
10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
John, different people have different preferences. I've been told to install them dry. Seepage is an issue with this install as most gaskets are paper. I've seen people install with RTV gasket maker. Depending on the person, seepage may occur as well, but not al the time. I've been told many times now though to use a quality gasket maker in a tube. No leaks as long as you get good coverage. There's many ways to do it. Choose the one that you're comfortable with.

chicane67
10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I never use gaskets...... just silly-cone and a new set of lock washers and nuts.

Kenova
10-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I like to put a bit of silicone on each side of the gasket just to be sure. I also like to use deep nuts (they have approx. 50% more thread) and new lock washers to secure the center section, wheel bearings, and brake backing plates.
Ken

parsonsj
10-11-2005, 08:55 AM
All done. I used black Permatex (RTV), no gasket. I'm glad to have the 3rd member not underfoot anymore.

Thanks for the help everybody.

jp

Damn True
10-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Prove it. We need video of a big smokey burnout.

parsonsj
10-11-2005, 09:58 AM
LOL. Soon. Soon.

I promise.

jp