PDA

View Full Version : QA1's with an LS1 in 69 Camaro

Rybar
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I have QA1 coil overs and and Speedtech upper/lower control arms for my front suspension. I am running and LS1-T56 (which is ~200 #'s lighter than a SBC combo) and I want my car to sit right as far as stance.

I was sold the Big Block springs by Speedtech, even though at the time of purchase I knew I was going to run a Small Block, he said it would be fine. Later after my LS1 install I was worried about ride height since I want my front to sit low (Ex. Streetking's black '69) Speedtech again told me my BB springs would be fine with the LS1.

We'll the car is at the shop as we speak waiting for a new pair of SB front coils for the QA1's, which I am still not even sure will work.

Does anybody have a QA1 setup with an LS1 and if they do, how did you get your car to sit the way it is. Did you have to mod anything else?

justforfun
11-19-2005, 09:42 PM
I have an LS1 in a 67 firebird convt and was leaning towards the QA1 setup. I was going to let the scales tell me which springs to use. Have you weighed your car F/R?

Judging by the post date you have probably already driven with the SB springs. How did it work out? Do you think you made the right choice?

The pro coil systems page in QA1's catalog says SB (1700-1950lb) & BB (1951-2200lb)

Any comments on how the speedtech lower control arms fit the QA1's? They look a little skimpy at the shock mounts.

Rybar
11-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I have an LS1 in a 67 firebird convt and was leaning towards the QA1 setup. I was going to let the scales tell me which springs to use. Have you weighed your car F/R?

Judging by the post date you have probably already driven with the SB springs. How did it work out? Do you think you made the right choice?

The pro coil systems page in QA1's catalog says SB (1700-1950lb) & BB (1951-2200lb)

Any comments on how the speedtech lower control arms fit the QA1's? They look a little skimpy at the shock mounts.

Car has still not been driven and will happen real soon, but I did switch to the SB springs. The BB springs were way too stiff, and I wanted the car to sit low. With the BB springs it was so stiff it would have ridden like a go-kart being really bouncy. Again, I have not driven it yet so I cannot comment on the performance of any of the parts including the lower arms.

baz67
11-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I would stick with the BB springs. The spring rates for the QA1 kits are fairly soft for a cornering car. With a coilover system you adjust ride height by moving the spring retaining nuts up and down the shock. Ride height really has little to do with the rate of the spring in a coilover system. Handling has a lot to do with spring rate and that is way you need the BB springs.

Rybar
11-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I would stick with the BB springs. The spring rates for the QA1 kits are fairly soft for a cornering car. With a coilover system you adjust ride height by moving the spring retaining nuts up and down the shock. Ride height really has little to do with the rate of the spring in a coilover system. Handling has a lot to do with spring rate and that is way you need the BB springs.

I had mine with the BB springs set at full drop and the car still had to go down 2" it was so stiff that there was almost no give in the suspension. Now I am no suspension expert, or race car driver. I understand the BB spring rates are better for handling. But I want to drive the car on the street and there are bumps, potholes etc and I'd like to keep my kidneys please.

paul67
11-21-2005, 11:03 AM
I run with big block springs on with an LT1 and glad i did sits just right, I would run the car first and let it settle as some cars have dropped inches when run on the road mine dropped 2+ and that happened after only a couple of miles.
paul67

baz67
11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
If you go too low with the adjustments you will need the BB spring just to keep the car off of the bumpstops. Just think how stiff it will feel then.

Since you had the SB spring installed see how that works. Keep in mind the springs will settle a bit after they are driven on for a while.

Rybar
11-21-2005, 12:02 PM
If you go too low with the adjustments you will need the BB spring just to keep the car off of the bumpstops. Just think how stiff it will feel then.

Since you had the SB spring installed see how that works. Keep in mind the springs will settle a bit after they are driven on for a while.

It sits like in the pictures, I think with the LS1 is quite a bit lighter than an LT1 or any SBC for that matter. With the QA1's If it settles too low I can always raise it with the collers correct?

I still have my BB springs if I want to change it anyways. I'll see how it rides/drives and let you guys know.