PDA

View Full Version : Front Coil-Over Suspension Suggestions

10Seconds
10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Background: My project is a 1978 Trans Am.

Ok, well unlike many of the recent questions, I am not going with a custom front chassis. I am using my stock subframe, and currently have Global West Tubular UCA's, w/ Del-a-lums, etc. My present debate is to get the GW LCA's and go to a coil over, and if so, what. I was thinking about the QA1's, they seem to be getting a lot of press lately, but I dont know anyone with them and have seen some negative comments on them here, so I am still thinking. What other coil-overs would someone recomend to use with the GW Tubular UCA/LCA set up?

Alternatively, I could use the GW UCA's that I have with my stock LCA's with new bushings, etc. And use Hotchkis's spring/shock/sway bar setup.

Thanks for your input.

79TransAm
10-06-2005, 11:02 AM
i wasnt aware that GW made LCA for the 77-81 birds yet, if so ill get them also. I have a 79 T/A(obviously) I was also looking into the QA1's... My question to you is will this be just a weekend driver, or do you plan to stretch its wings at the track? If its just a weekend driver, save your money and go with like a set of KYB AGX's or Koni Adj. Or Bilstiens and just get a set of Hotchkis springs. I wanna take mine to the track eventually so im going all out. I'm even getting the Hotchkis Spec 5 Rear leaves... I think you first question to your self before what coilovers to get is, is it worth the money for something your not really gonna "need" for the style driving your gonna be doing?

10Seconds
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
GW has been making the LCA's for the 2nd Gen's for a while now, and I know they are available in both the coil over config and the stock coil/shock config. Thats why I need to firm up my coil-over choice before getting the LCA, if I go that route.

As to what I "need," its all relative. But I want to build the best possible setup, so its ready to do whatever I might decide it needs to on the spur of the moment. As for the rear, I am going to go with the Martz set up with a Martz prepared Ford 9", mini-tubbed with 335's, so I am not looking for shortcuts.

10Seconds
10-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Anyone? Surely someone here has some experience with other coilover shocks?

I am strongly leaning towards using the GW LCA with the uppers I currently have, but I have to decide on the shock/spring setup first so I appreciate the input.

Mean 69
10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
But I want to build the best possible setup, so its ready to do whatever I might decide it needs to on the spur of the moment. As for the rear, I am going to go with the Martz set up with a Martz prepared Ford 9", mini-tubbed with 335's, so I am not looking for shortcuts.

These two statements seem to be in pretty serious contradiction, if I am reading them correctly. If you want a car that can do it all, why would you go with the Martz setup? Is this a drag race type car, or do you plan on turning? If it is the latter, I'd suggest doing some searching on the Martz setup, it has been discussed here numerous times. If you do indeed plan on going with this in the back, well, the front of your car is already more than capable to compliment this system.

Mark

10Seconds
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Well, I am pretty happy with the feedback from those that are actually using the Martz Rear. I have actually read every post here and Nastyz28 and others on the Martz rear. From talking to the people that are actually using it, most of them are happy with it, and I have talked with several whose use would be similar to mine. But that discussion is for another day, and a later one at that, I am working on the front right now.

Anyways, rather than get into a debate over the rear right now, I would really like some info on the front, since that is the stage I am at.