PDA

View Full Version : Toe out...

pitts64
11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I was wondering how many of you guys are running toe out on the street..

I just switched to toe out and I'm amazed at the difference. It was the missing link to my cars handling and stability issues. In reading posts here trying to learn, I noticed Dave P. sometimes posting this "or toe out"..

My 64 Pontiac Bonneville used to be very unpredictable and I've pestered you guys for years for advice. Now it goes were pointed and is a pleasure to drive. I'm running something around 5/6 positive caster, 2 degrees negative camber and 1/16-1/16 toe out... I have solid upper and lower control (KRC) arm bushings with Currie Johnny joints in the four link, Lee 12 to 1...

Thank you Dave and PT!!

rentedmule
11-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I tried it for a while. The turn-in was great and the steering felt very responsive but it was a hand-full on the highway. It was very twitchy and you really had to steer it all the time to keep it going straight.

pitts64
11-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Funny, my car was twitchy with toe in.. I wonder if it being rear steer matters.. My car likes the stock alignment specs flipped around, the factory specs were negative caster, positive camber with toe in, since I reversed them to positive caster, negative camber and toe out, it's like a dream to drive.. I can drive 120 with one finger on the wheel and it "feels" stable and sure..

Parked, the wheels look funny and the tires might not last 20,000 miles but I really don't care.. I'll spend 2 bills on new front tires every season if I have too.. By the way, last spring I bought new Firestone Destination LE-2 235/70r15 tires, these tires are without a doubt the best tires I ever had on a street car, even better then the Firehawk PV-41 cop car tires I used to buy..

David Pozzi
11-17-2014, 05:20 PM
As you increase negative camber, you can go to more toe-out. .1 degree toe-out correction per degree camber for one wheel is what the books recommend, but rear steer cars tend to have more play in the system, which confuses the issue.

66 tintop
11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
As you increase negative camber, you can go to more toe-out. .1 degree toe-out correction per degree camber for one wheel is what the books recommend, but rear steer cars tend to have more play in the system, which confuses the issue.

Thanks for great advice , I'll have to remember this info