PDA

View Full Version : 67 Galaxie paint questions

xavier296
11-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Good morning. About a year ago, I redid the suspension on my 67 Galaxie and installed a 5.0 coyote and a 4R70W transmission. I did very little cleaning and even less painting, but did have all suspension items powdercoated black. I always intended to someday take everything apart again, powder the frame and clean under the engine bay, so now I have some questions:

1. I can't get new hardware, and most of them look good. Are people buying home plating kits or can you suggest a good place to zinc everything?
2. What do I do with the hood hinges? Paint or powder? Can the springs be powdercoated? Are there plastic pieces at the movement points that could have problems with the heat required for powdercoating?

This will be the first of many questions I'm sure!

xavier296
11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Got the above figured out. Only have to figure out firewall clean up. I can't blast it, so I have to use home methods to clean off old cracked sealant and small surface rust. Thinking die grinder with 3M scotchbrite pads and a scrapper, then prime and paint satin black to match the powdercoated inner fenders and cowl.

Best paint for firewall?

Jetfixr320
11-20-2014, 06:53 AM
I used the Keystone Hot Rod Satin black in my engine compartment, Key 98101 is the P/N.
It's very durable.

The activator is either Key98114 (medium) or Key98124 (Slow)

It sprays and flows out very nice.