PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage Question

79TransAm
10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm looking at getting a 6pt roll cage for the 79 when i do the interior... the thing is i wanna keep the back seat. does anyone know of a company that makes a roll cage that would work with the rear bench or would i have to take it out? I'd REALLY like to keep it, but if i gotta get rid of it its not a huge loss.

Q ship
10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
You have to ask yourself, who would want to sit in the back with a roll bar? Also, it's a very bad idea safety wise. Do you need the rollbar? If so the choice is clear, the back seat should go.

10Seconds
10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Chris Alston Chassisworks makes the one that I am going to use in my 78 Trans Am. Here is a good link with some pics. I am also keeping the backseat and his design has bent rear struts designed for a 2nd gen, so it will leave the backseat functional. I wont bother debating safety of riding with the bars in the back here, but the risk is obvious if you were to bang your skull on them.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/HowTo/HowTo-005_web.pdf

rickk
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
10 seconds , custom make it . dont by a kit . it will fit your car better .

rick kirkindall:hand:

10Seconds
10-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Rick, you are probably right, but the Alston "kit" is really just various lengths of pre-bent pipe. You have to cut and fit it, its not just a bolt on from Summit.

I am really up in the air about doing the cage at all. If my car wasnt a t-top model, I probably wouldnt, but since I am considered a "convertible" at the strip, I won't be allowed to do much without it. So its a tough question.

rickk
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
cut the top off and put a new one on it with t tops.lol

rick kirkindall:lol:

68firehawk
10-05-2005, 08:25 PM
It might not be very close to where you live but I recieved mine from Art Morrison. It still needed to be custom fit but the tubes all came pre-bent.

Jake

79TransAm
10-06-2005, 04:34 AM
ok thanx for the opinions, i probably wont be getting it then. I like the sleeper look, the rollcage was just for security if i ever did street course races. I guess ill go without one, but whats the 1/4 mile time where you have to have one?

79T/Aman
10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
79 for NHRA it 11:49 than you need a bar send me an e-mail and I can send you pics of the bar we make and gives you full rear seat access.
Also a bar will make your car more rigid and can make a big difference if you are going to do some performance suspension and or have T-tops

79TransAm
10-08-2005, 06:01 PM
sent you an email man

79T/Aman
10-09-2005, 04:44 PM
sent you mail back :cool:

79TransAm
10-10-2005, 05:44 AM
k man, do you guys give any discount if you buy a lot of stuff at once? If so ill wait and buy UCA/LCA/GBrace/Body Bushings all at once.

79T/Aman
10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm working on a discount price structure now, as more parts are comming out that compliment each other but nothing 100% set yet, as you have noticed our prices are pretty low to start, but to answer your Question the answer is yes, thanks DJ.

texlurch
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Morrison and a couple others will provide rear bars bent to go over the seat and thru the package tray. The last couple I did I just measured the bends and had a shop bend them. The rear down tubes followed the roofline then the rear window, before turning down thru the tray and attaching near the shock mounts. Rear seat was usable, other than getting past the seat cross bar.

For my 70, I want to put the main hoop as far back as possible and do the same thing with the down tubes, to retain the rear seat. I don't plan on using a cross bar behind the seats, and will have removeable side bars for street use. Plan is to have it mostly invisible from outside the car.

I have used Morrison, Chassisworks, Alston and S&W kits in various cars; all the main hoops fit "decent", and all require fitting if you want a tight fit.