PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis Sway bars for 2nd Gen Camaro

MikeDVC
10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Was thinking of removing my stock sway bars (7/8 front and 9/16 rear with poly bushings) and replacing them with the Hotchkis bars. (i have their front and rear springs)

My question: Would there be a noticable difference in handling, body roll, for a mainly street driven car? I'm between these or tubular upper control arms (Global or Speedtech) as my next project.

Would like to hear from anyone using them on a 2nd gen.

WS6
10-05-2005, 04:19 PM
depends on how hard you take turns honestly. the sway bars really wont work unless your turning hard. you can turn hard enough for the new thicker sway bars to work on the street fairly easy. long turns at speeds will be the most noticable. do the sway bars first as they are easy and will be needed regaurdless of whether you have tubular UCAs or not.

id would also get front end firewall braces before i got controls arms too. the front ends on these cars are long and flex a good bit.

shocks would then be next on my list as well as cutting the front springs to lower the front or getting stiffer front springs.

id would then go for the control arms. you can simply do so much better early on with other parts other than control arms. they dont have a big impact in the overall handling of the car compared to shocks/springs and sway bars are springs.

also be sure to check out www.pro-touringf-body.com

WS6
10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
oh also might want to consider getting factory WS6 bars front and back. much cheaper and I'm not sure if hotchkis stuff is any thicker. i know hotchkis stuff is not solid and i dont like that unless its thick walled tubing and its not with hotchkis

MikeDVC
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks, I was seriously considering the G-Braces, read some threads with good feedback on them. Maybe instead of changing sway bars, I'll go with better shocks, maybe Blistens. Using KYB's now, not really impressed with them.

rickk
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
mike dvc , i have them if you need them. both ft -rear .

rick kirkindall:revto9k:

David Pozzi
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
You want to restrict body lean to under three degrees, the Hothkis bars are great, but remember they are tuned to work with the Hotchkis springs as well. The front braces are probably a good idea but the bars will do more to keep the car from leaning.

WS6
10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
definetly get better sway bars and some better shocks first. I have Koni SA shocks on my car. only cost about $100 each. thats a bargin compared to what SA shocks would cost for my formula.

also relocating the battery to the trunk will help out.

MikeDVC
10-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the advice,

I've got Hotchkis front and back springs. I've already cut one coil off, but still a pretty "bouncy" ride in the front. I took a lot of weight off the nose (battery in trunk, fiberglass hood, alum heads and so on), next I'll try cutting another 1/4 coil off, then some good shocks. I'm thinking Blisteins, since I can get the tuned ones for Hotchkis, to match the
springs. Also going to order the G-braces this month.

If that doesn't give me the ride I want, sway bars will be next. I did see some ws6 bars on ebay for a reasonable price, so maybe I'll try those if necessary. The Hotchkis just seem to expensive, if the ws6's give the same result.

I really wish I had found this site about 18 months ago, before I started to make the suspension, brake and wheel/tire changes. Learned so much here, thanks again.

WS6
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
get the revalved shocks from hotchkis for sure. they offer those shocks for a reason. the factory WS6 bars may not be as good as the hotchkis stuff, but they will be better than what you have on there now.

the more coils you cut the bouncier it will become because you are increasing the spring rate when you shorten a coil spring.

zbugger
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
If you get the WS6 stuff, I'd say stick with your stock original bar in the rear. Or get both and do a bit of testing. No bar may be better as well.

Oh, and get the Hotchkis tuned Bilsteins. I have to get them too.

MikeDVC
12-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Just installed the Bilstein shocks ....much, much better.