PDA

View Full Version : Electric Water Pump Question

RJCapt
09-13-2004, 06:43 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my water pump to a meziere electric unit (55gpm). Has anyone ever tried to run some sort of variable speed control on these? I was looking at aeromotives fuel pump controller that adjusts the voltage to the pump relative to RPM. Anyone have any opinions? My thoughts here are that I could wire a manual override, to let the pump come on after warm up (or even a basic temp switch) and then have the pump speed vary with RPM (much like a mechanical pump). I guess you could even let the pump run after shut down to facilitate cool down, but I don't know if thats necessary.

Just wondering.

Pete

Matt@RFR
09-13-2004, 07:27 AM
The only thing that I would say is that hundreds of thousands of motors didn't have anything like the setup you're describing, and they work just dandy.

I'd spend my time and money elsewhere for sure.

TonyHuntimer
09-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey,

Don't EVER RUN YOUR ENGINE WITH YOUR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP ON! You will crack a cylinder before you ever get a sign of a problem.

Check out this place. The sell controllers to keep the electric pump working, but at a slower speed.

They sell fan and water pump controllers. :)

http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

nancejd
09-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm curious how running an electric pump while the engine is runing could cause a cylinder to crack, or did you mean when the engine isn't running? I would think that having the fluid circulating through the radiator with the engine off would promote cooling.

TonyHuntimer
09-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey,

Don't EVER RUN YOUR ENGINE WITH YOUR ELECTRIC WATER PUMP ON!

:rotfl:

Thanks for catching my mistake.

I meant to post not to run your engine with you pump OFF!

The water always needs to be running through the engine, while the engine is running.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

nancejd
09-14-2004, 05:04 PM
If you left the pump running after you shut the engine off, would you still crack a cylinder? I can see how sending the relatively cool water from the radiator through the block if you turned the pump on after letting it sit for a while, but as long as the coolant was circulating, it seems like there wouldn't be a thermal shock. Just wondering since I'm thinking about running an electric pump.

CoryM
09-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Well if you left your pump and fans going for a few minutes after shutoff you could stop your temp from going up after shutdown. I always cringe when I shut a engine off with a mechanical guage and watch it creep up 20 degrees. I would assume the hottest water goes up into the head/gasket area and stews there at 230+ when you shutdown for a while. Having said that, on a street driven car I am not a fan of electric water pumps. Then again I dont have the $$$ to want to gain 5rwhp and trade a long living mechanical pump to an expensive electric motor.
Cheers.