PDA

View Full Version : body question? help

jonesbs9
10-16-2014, 04:40 AM
im removing my outside locks, I cut this little filler panel used a magnet to hold it from the back side while I tacked it, in this photo its inset just a little, before I tacked it I had it perfectly flush, tacked it on all four corners, then rechecked it...still perfect, I used a mig welder and just a small tack type weld then wait a second go to the other side and do the same, stopped a cpl times to let it cool, then when I ground the weld down, the entire area is now a 16th of an inch low, not just the filler panel but an inch or so all the way around it> what am I doing wrong? thought it would be a nice fix but now I need body work. help!!

dhutton
10-16-2014, 05:21 AM
You need to planish your welds with a hammer and dolly as you go. Even when you go slow the cooling will cause the area to shrink. Planishing stretches it back. Likely lots of videos on YouTube.

Don

jonesbs9
10-16-2014, 05:38 AM
can I still go back and do it or is it too late once its ground back down?

dhutton
10-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Yes I believe you can. Try to check for some videos on YouTube.

Don

PRRC
10-18-2014, 06:40 AM
To much heat to quick. Keep a blow gun handy. Tack and cool with air. If the panel is any more than warm to the tough you need to wait for the panel to cool more before moving on. Moving from side to side on such a small area will warp the panel very quickly.

jlcustomz
10-19-2014, 03:01 PM
While a small dip inward in an area isn't the worst thing in the world, it can sometimes be accompanied by a slight bulge out around the area, which can be higher than the surrounding sheet metal. Be sure to carefully check a ways out for this.

When doing hammer & dolly work , its best to do many small hits rather than trying to do a few big hits. As far as your weld seam, if it has decent weld penetration, it'll take some light hammer work without cracking. Doesn't matter if done immediately or a lifetime later.

Also remember that it's much better to have a slight low spot rather than any high spots. A low spot only can be filled . A high spot will require filler for a long ways out to fill back to a smooth flat surface.