PDA

View Full Version : Another truck guy!

dragndakota
10-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I just joined and made my introduction post but wanted to make one here in the truck section as well. I have been reading through this section for the past two weeks and gathering information.

My buddy Cory has got me in to auto crossing this year. I used to just want to go fast in a straight line. Making your car handle a road course though is pretty awesome and after riding a long in a well built track car I was hooked and now want to build my own. Im a truck guy so I have to build me a truck. My truck is an 84 chevy C10 long bed (for now). The truck has been in the family for about 10 years. I purchased it when I was 18 and sold it to my grandpa later after the transmission went out because I was young and didn't have the money to replace it right away. I just recently bought the truck back though. The truck started as a V6 truck but now has a 350 engine and built 700R4 trans. I was told when I bought it that it has 12 bolt rear with 373 gears but I have never cracked it open to check.

My plans for the truck are to first cut it to a short bed. Then from there I want to lower it a ton and make it handle. I have a few ideas but would like to hear from you guys on here some of your opinions. I am new to auto crossing and don't want to go fully built frame and race truck for my first vehicle. My plans are as follow.

I have a 6.0 LQ4 motor to go in
90% sure Im going to a manual trans
cut frame to short bed
box, X brace and C notch frame.
Tubular control arms
some type of 4 link suspension
air bags or coil-overs
4 wheel discs
bigger brakes and better calipers
fat wheels and tires

I am open to any suggestions from everyone. I have started to read the "make it handle" thread and I'm part of the way through it. I plan to do as much work myself as possible. Ive been around cars all my life and Im a decent fabricator and welder. I am also an engineer so Im decent at math, calculating angles and other things.

Ive read about making the rear suspension out wide and seen some of posts about boxing the frame but don't box it all and put bracing in etc.. Ive also seen about moving the front suspension to get more caster and camber angles. I plan to make control arms so any info on what to change suspension wise would be very helpful. Im open to opinions on the route I should go. Again I don't want a full on race truck but I do want something fun and can hang with some of the other cars quite well.

This is the only picture I have for now since its dark out.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/10/truck_zps7d0bca20-1.jpg (http://s565.photobucket.com/user/dragndakota/media/truck_zps7d0bca20.jpg.html)
Thanks for looking.

Auto Rod Technologies
10-14-2014, 07:04 PM
The more trucks the merrier

1truckguy78
10-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Always good to have another square around!