PDA

View Full Version : improve suspension w/o tall spindles

awesomedre
10-05-2005, 07:18 AM
can i improve my front suspension on my 70chevelle without the tall spindle swap?or is this nessesary to improve negative camber ect...

Dust87ss
10-05-2005, 12:48 PM
You can use SCandC's Stage 2 kit that consists of upper and lower ball joints and adjustable upper control arms. Maybe, one day, I can get my Stage 2 kit installed.

Marcus SC&C
10-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Yes,it`s true that you need to make changes in the heights of the suspension pickup points to change the camber curves (among other things). It`s easiest to do this on the outboard side because you don`t have to chop up the frame to do it. The one exception is early F bodys which have very tall UCA perches that can be modified pretty easily (the G mod). Where vertical changes are concerned a little bit goes a very long way. In the case of Chevelles we use both tall upper and lower modular ball joints to get this height gain. We finish it off with adj. upper arms to allow the proper travel without ball joint bind,and the use of more modern performance alignment settings. That`s almost as important as correcting the geometry. Basically the camber curve of the A chassis is backwards and the roll center is well below the ground (which contributes to a lot of body lean). Running just the tall upper ball joints and adj. arms makes the camber curves roughly neutral and bring the RC up to about ground level. Using the uppers,lowers and adj. arms gives you nice negative camber curves and brings the RC up to 2.5"-3" above the ground (depending on ride height and other variables). For comparison sake a C5 Corvette`s RC is about 2.75". It also raises the spindles and steering arms which lowers the car about 3/4" and (combined with the new alignments specs) corrects about 80% of the factory bumpsteer. Not bad for a simple bolt on package you can install in a couple hours huh? :) Check out the suspension diagrams for the G body on our site if you get a chance. The changes and gains are very similar to the A body. Marcus SC&C