PDA

View Full Version : 1967 FIREBIRD Rack & Pinion?

rockertype
10-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Has anyone intalled a manual rack in their 67-68 Firebird? Flaming River says their "bolt in" Camaro kit WILL work on a bird with a Pontiac motor. Steeroids says their kit WILL work, Unisteer says NO - there will be clearance issues (oil pan & starter). I understand the problem if the Pontiac oil pan is deeper than a SBC, but how can the starter be in the way? Has anyone used one of these systems?

Thanks in advance guys.

expat_dude
10-05-2005, 07:13 AM
I am hoping to hear from someone running the Flaming river in a first gen Camaro myself...

Widetracker
02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Starter is on the driver side of the engine on Pontiac as opposed to the passenger side on Chevy. Having not seen the R+Ps, I don't why it would interfere, but that is the difference. I thought the aftermarket setups put the racks in front of the engine? Am I mistaken?

justforfun
02-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Starter is on the driver side of the engine on Pontiac as opposed to the passenger side on Chevy.

This is true for v8's, but the starter is on the passengers side for the pontiac 6 cyl.

I don't have the 6 cyl in my 67 firebird any more, but from pictures it is hard to tell if the starter will need to be moved.

steve g
03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I looked at the kits for my 69 bird and I seem to recall that it was the motor mount that would be in the way.

Karch
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I was once told there was interference with either the damper or the oil pan, as the front of the engines are different from Pontiacs to chevies.