PDA

View Full Version : What Body Areas to Check for Possible Rust/Bondo/Etc.?

Steel409
10-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Hello all,

Happy to be making my first post on this site! I've spent hours upon hours reading and learning, and I'm close to making my first project purchase.

http://lasalle.craigslist.org/cto/4699475455.html

With that being said, the car I'm looking at is a 1967 Camaro. I'm curious to know, what areas of the body should I inspect to confirm that I won't have any rust/body issues in the future?

Based on my research, I've found the following:

External floorboards/trunk
Trunk internal under the rear window
Behind each wheel well

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance for any tips!

DreamRyder1963
10-10-2014, 04:39 PM
On finished car like that I would bring a small magnet with to check for excess filler on the places you mentioned. Bubbles in the paint would also be a quick clue that rust was painted over.

Chris71RS
10-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Nice looking car.

+1 on the magnet. It also helps to know where the car has spent most of it's life. Was it always in Colorado? California? North East? Arizona? Certain locations promote rust more than others.

Be certain to open the doors and check the very bottom. Not the door skin but the inside bottom of the door. You'll may have to lie on your back so you can look up. Also, the Rear Frame Rails should be checked.

If the seller did the paint & body work or paid to have it done see if he has pictures of the restoration in progress. A picture is worth 1,000 words. If a shop did the restoration, ask for the name so you can contact them to see the extent of work they did.

65 drop top
10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Check all lower panels, like the bottoms of the doors, fenders, rockers, and quarters. Floor and trunk pans. Check below the rear window. Those are the areas we check out here in Cali. Other areas might be more prone to rust in a wetter state, like lower cowl.

Steel409
10-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Folks,

Fantastic suggestions. Thanks very much!

Ah yes, I had heard about the paper/magnet trick on the quarters, but didn't think to check at the bottom of the doors, and the bottom [interior] of the doors. Will definitely do so.

I'll also ask where the car was from, forgot to do that. But based on the rest of the initial conversation, I'm guessing he'll say, "I don't know."

As I didn't really know where to post my initial question to get the most visibility, here's how the rest of the conversation went.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/110893-What-Body-Areas-to-Check-for-Possible-Rust-Bondo-Etc?p=1096179#post1096179

Thanks again, all. These forums are invaluable!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend(s)!

~ Jack