PDA

View Full Version : How about an LSx section?

jannes_z-28
10-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I posted this before the crash and it got lost so here we go again.

Why not put up an section for us who will do or has done the LSx conversion in Protouring cars.

LS1Tech.com has of course a lot of info but not PT-speceific.

Many agreed to my suggestion on the topic that got lost and I hop more will see it now.

What do you think?

Jan

TitoJones
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I'd like this as well. 3 votes from my whole team.
Tyler

Aussie
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see that :icon996:

Roger

Rybar
10-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I'll give my vote for one as well.

derekf
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
More out of curiousity than anything else (because I don't actually have an opinion one way or the other): what would an LSx specific forum gain us that we don't already have with the Fuel Injection/Electric/Cooling/Engine Misc (etc.) forums?

SatisTraction
10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
how much LSx stuff is PT specific?

70 LS1
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I am a moderator of the Conversions section of LS1tech and there are plenty of PT cars over there. The info is the same for the conversions regardless if it is a pro touring car or a pickup or an RX7.

TonyL
10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
the benifit would be that PTers that are doing a LSX convert would know where to look first for the tech questions they have. So, in that respect, it's a good idea.

SatisTraction
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
i say go for it.

Bill Howell
10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
More out of curiousity than anything else (because I don't actually have an opinion one way or the other): what would an LSx specific forum gain us that we don't already have with the Fuel Injection/Electric/Cooling/Engine Misc (etc.) forums?

Just speaking from experience, there are a lot of issues that are different. The first was motor mounts and engine placement. The LS stuff is different enough that regular V-8 stuff will not work. Then there was the header issue. Again, the heads are so different that you have to find new stuff. The thread the guys at ATS have going right now about new headers prove that with all the interest that thread has generated. We really need to know this stuff. I really tried to do my homework when I started the GTO, but there is no info out there on A-bodies at all. It has been a real pain to get all I needed to make everything work. In fact, it is 19 days before we have to leave for LV and I still don't have stuff I ordered two months ago. A section dedicated to muscle cars, ie camaros,chevelles, would really help everyone. While I use LS1tech as the "bible" on the subject, even they don't have much actual info on muscle cars as far as what has or hasn't worked for people. I haven't even covered tranny issues, computer issues, wiring harness issues......
Hopefully, I have a handle on early A-bodies now, but I would need a whole new book on some other car. It is not just plug and play, at least it isn't for us used to old school.

Steve68
10-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Sounds good to me!!

Nine Ball
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Bill, we have over 4 years of topics related to LS1 swaps on LS1TECH. You won't find a more active or complete LSX swap information center. I'd easily say that 50% of the engine swappers on that forum are pro-touring car builders.

I basically built my entire '69 using that forum. That included fuel systems, wiring questions, exhaust questions, steering and engine mount questions, etc... all found within the conversions forum. The reason you don't see much GTO related stuff is because there simply hasn't been that many people do that swap yet. Camaros, Firebirds, Novas, Corvettes, Tri-5s, etc.. have been done numerous times.

I think the forums we already have on this site do well as they are. Also, they probably aren't active enough yet to start subdividing them into specific engines.

Bill Howell
10-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree 100% with what you are saying Tony, like I said I searched LS1tech for the info I needed. I just picked a car(A-body) that absolutely has no track record with LS swaps and very few suppliers. Even they could not tell me exactly what to do or how much modifications where required on my body to do the swap. The first supplier I bought mounts from absolutely sent me junk(and I am talking $600 worth). They told me I had to cut the tunnel, but could not tell me where or how much. The second company still has not supplied me with everything they promised. I know my car is one of the first they have done, however, it is no fun paying retail and being the geniue pig. I know much more now than I did 4 months ago, albeit trial and error. If I could save someone else this hassle, I would love to. What I would really like would be info on how to do this conversion with used/avalible parts. I could care less for all the billet stuff I have bought this time. Sorry, if I used this thread as a rant platform, but my experience has not been fun with this first conversion. I guess what I am saying is we need a conversion 101 section where new people would not be intemidated to ask the simple questions. Not to offend, but LS1tech is so far over my head that I could not decode some of the simple stuff. Not everyone is as up to speed as yall that have messed with these things for several years. Hey, maybe I just need to stick with old school in the future.LOL
The reason I feel we should have an LS specific section is because they are so different from what most are used to. I am sure LS1tech would be linked in most every thread started since it is the premier information source, but if we could answer a simple question or two within our ranks, it might help new guys fill more comfortable.

BTW, in my first post, I should have said A-bodies, not muscle cars when I was talking about lack of information.
Thanks.

Nine Ball
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
~shrug~ I guess since there is an LS1TECH banner in the sponsor column, it would seem like the best place to go for any LSX related questions. Why have such a good resource at your disposal, and not use it.

You won't find a pro-touring forum on LS1TECH, because we refer those questions to this site.

jannes_z-28
10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
The reason I suggested this is that on LS1Tech there is to much information to going thru.

I am not suggesting an engine section, I want a LSx conversion section covering engine, trans, harness, fittings, mounting. A section for asking about problems related to put these babies in our cars.

The conversion section at LS1tech is just bloated with so many different cars that I don't have time to look thru them all.

If we have one here it could be more concentrated on what we need to know.

Jan

ilovefirstgens
10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Yea i would haveto agree that we need a section here, also not to bad mouth but ive gotten a bunch of bad advice over at ls1tech, just in reading up past stuff, lotsa dorks with Zero experience passing on information that their misinformed friend got from their friend and so on and so fourth.

Not saying everyone there is like that, but ive pretty much disregaurded anything ive heard over there and started from a blank slate and asked guys that actually did it to their cars, got a few of the same answers, just funny that guys tell me to make sure to put dual exhausts on my 68 so that the ls1 can breathe....

This is proably partially stemming from almost exclusive experiences with dumb ass cocky 4th gen owners who think theyre (themselves and the car) the hottest thing in town despite their just about complete lack of knowledge... but they do come with "carbon fiber intakes"

68Formula
10-07-2005, 02:41 AM
The LSx is a great engine, and I even considered the swap but decided it was out of my budget and time. However, I have two concerns with the proposal.

1) As stated before, there is already a site that covers this so why be redundant?
2) The more GM specific we get, the more we alienate the other makes.

Already many people assume this is a Chevy Camaro forum. Reading through the posts sometimes, I've seen time and time again people asking questions that are specific to their Camaro without even putting in the fact that it is a Camaro (or even which generation).

If I had a Mopar or Ford, etc. I'd probably be put off by this. We really should try to stay generic to encourge others who want to follow the protouring movement. This way we can learn from a larger cross-section of people and make our cars pro-touring better. For extremely specific non-protouring questions, there are other really good sites that cater to this. Plus, by us visit those sites, it makes them better as well.

Just my $.02.

SatisTraction
10-08-2005, 06:42 AM
so when are we getting the new forum? hint hint :)

Nine Ball
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
The reason I suggested this is that on LS1Tech there is to much information to going thru.

I am not suggesting an engine section, I want a LSx conversion section covering engine, trans, harness, fittings, mounting. A section for asking about problems related to put these babies in our cars.

The conversion section at LS1tech is just bloated with so many different cars that I don't have time to look thru them all.

If we have one here it could be more concentrated on what we need to know.

Jan

Guys, doing an engine swap isn't rocket science. Its simply making adapters to fit the engine mounts, installing an off-the-shelf wiring harness and factory PCM, and running an EFI fuel system. The same rules apply to any vehicle, regardless of make/model. If the car has the physical size to stick an LSX into it, then thats the only constraint required.

Jan, you can use the search feature located within that Conversions forum to narrow down what you are looking for:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?

Tony

Zedzag
10-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I'd like to see this happen as i'm currently building an LQ4 to stuff into a second gen. I've really benefitted from the conversions forum at LS1Tech.

jannes_z-28
10-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Jan, you can use the search feature located within that Conversions forum to narrow down what you are looking for:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?

Tony

To search a forum for specific threads is not rocket science either. I have been working with computers since the late 70's, so that is not a problem thank you. I just think it would be easier to have it all in one place. I spend to much time browsing forums as it already is.

But since no one of the guys running this place seems to like this idea I have to look somewhere else.

Jan

Ralph LoGrasso
10-11-2005, 01:21 PM
But since no one of the guys running this place seems to like this idea I have to look somewhere else.

Jan

There was a long discussion between mods and admins last night about the LSX forum, and I believe we are going to be creating one in the near future.

PeteRR
10-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Why not just create a forum for non-Chevy products, so we can find them. The rest of the board is loaded with non-labeled Chevy questions. :slap:

68Formula
10-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Why not just create a forum for non-Chevy products, so we can find them. The rest of the board is loaded with non-labeled Chevy questions. :slap:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Other makes don't feel very welcome here. :wedgie:

If this becomes all Chevy Pro-Touring it's the equivalent of in-breeding as far as ideas go. There is already a Camaro site and a LS1 site I can go to for those questions. What I came here for is a Pro-touring site.

Put in the links to the other sites and leave this for Pro-Touring specific only.

Quite frankly this issue, and the 22s starting to show up are beginning to turn me off.

Bill Howell
10-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Wait, not all are camaros, or even chevys for that matter. There is not a chevy piece on my car that I know of. GM maybe but not chevy.
Until you and others do something different, it will be hard to overtake the camaros for sure. I think the biggest hurdle is avalible custom suspension stuff for us outsiders. And that is not a site problem, but a parts problem. Even gm a-body guys have to hunt for stuff. I am not sure what the answer is either. One thing is for sure, it will be dang expensive to do the R & D yourself for a one off part. I think we are on the cutting edge as far as the movement goes, but the fact is if you are a manufacter, what are you going to build parts for? A first gen camaro or a 53 Nash? I think the answer is obvious. The bottom line is we have to do alot more trial and error if we are non-conformist(sp?). One thing is for sure though, once you complete a different style car, people pay attention and you won't be "just another 69 camaro".

Ralph LoGrasso
10-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Introducing the new LSX Forum:

The LSX Forum (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)

If / when the forum becomes increasingly busy, I will make it it's own forum, rather than an Engine Misc. sub-forum.