PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

mjp01243
09-12-2004, 09:59 PM
I am having some serious electrical problems. I have a 69 camaro with a few aftermarket electrical devices. My electrical system consists of stock wiring harness, msd 6al, msd timing control, petronics electronic distributer conversion in a stock style points distributer, petronics coil and 110 amp alternator. Everything has run perfect for over a year now but these last couple of weeks have been very rough for me. While just cruising around my tach will randomly search around and then my engine will die. If I give it a little bit of gas while still moving the motor will sometime comeback alive. Then sometimes Ill be at a steady speed and it will start puttering and back fire a bunch of time and then die. I tracked down some of the problem to a cut sparkplug wire and a bad ground. After fixing both of these I still have the same problem and it only getting worse. Any help or advice would really be appericated.

Zefhix
09-13-2004, 11:14 AM
It sounds pretty specific to the spark running the motor. You need to check then recheck the wiring going to and from the MSD box and distributor/coil. I don't think the timing control is something you have to worry about. The tach wigging out is a sure sign that the tach is not recieveing the adequate voltage to read the pulses. A friend has a 67 Conv. that was doing the same thing and we found that the positive power supply to the tach was being shared with about 4 other things on the fuse block. Also, it turned out the alternator was going out on it too. We replaced the alt. and the car ran okay but the tach was still wigging out and when we isolated the tach with it's own power supply, it was fine.
So my other question is this- Is this issue completely intermitent or does it run funky all the time. You said it's getting worse.....as in more frequent or now the motor is running even worse all the time?
I think the engine is getting poor spark an now some of your plugs are starting to foul...Pull them out and look at them...what do they look like? If you have a camera....share. :cool:

CAMAROBOY69
09-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Yup like Zefhix said check those plugs out now since you had plug wire issues. After that make sure your hot wires on the 6AL box arent arcing to any other wires including the box itself. I had a tach wire jump arc to other wires that were around it.