PDA

View Full Version : Inner fenders removing

NightRider12
10-03-2014, 01:43 AM
I'm thinking to remove the inner fenders from my 67 Camaro to reduce the weight and to have a better balance of the car
Do you think that engine and all the rest under the hood can be damaged ? Any experciance about ?
The car is intended for street use

dirty rick
10-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Not on the street, even on the track sand and gravel thrown up by the tires is going to blast everything it hits and lay in every nook and cranny.

carguy502
10-03-2014, 07:38 AM
For a track only car, maybe.

However, if it goes on the street, I would highly recommend running WITH inner fenders. I ran without them on my daily driven 1969 Nova for about 6 years. While the sand blast effect was minimal (we don't salt roads here in SoCal), I did once pick up a rock in my tread at speed and dented the top of my fender from the inside out. I have had to explain that more times that I would have ever liked to.

If you are concerned about weight and balance, relocate the battery and run composite inner fenders (CF or Fiberglass). You have a Camaro and they make everything for those cars.

NightRider12
10-09-2014, 12:45 PM
For a track only car, maybe.

However, if it goes on the street, I would highly recommend running WITH inner fenders. I ran without them on my daily driven 1969 Nova for about 6 years. While the sand blast effect was minimal (we don't salt roads here in SoCal), I did once pick up a rock in my tread at speed and dented the top of my fender from the inside out. I have had to explain that more times that I would have ever liked to.

If you are concerned about weight and balance, relocate the battery and run composite inner fenders (CF or Fiberglass). You have a Camaro and they make everything for those cars.

Yeah, relocating the battery in the trunk is the first thing I will do, about inner fenders I was thinking about replace them with aluminium panels

lzdick
10-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Curious as to why you are trying to lighten a car for street use?

NightRider12
10-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Curious as to why you are trying to lighten a car for street use?

Because a lighter car go faster, brake better, handle better and save fuel.
Here in Italy we have small streets with a lot of corners and a good handling is essential to have fun.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I think the actual benefit of the little weight savings (They aren't really all THAT heavy), is offset by the potential for damage, and general dirtiness, and I also like the inner fenderwells for added rigidity of the front end sheetmetal. By losing the inner fender wells you're losing a lot of strength to the hood hinge area, and you could run into many other issues down the road.

NightRider12
10-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I think the actual benefit of the little weight savings (They aren't really all THAT heavy), is offset by the potential for damage, and general dirtiness, and I also like the inner fenderwells for added rigidity of the front end sheetmetal. By losing the inner fender wells you're losing a lot of strength to the hood hinge area, and you could run into many other issues down the road.

That is true, but I have not mentioned that I want to add a roll cage so the strength in the hood hinge area is not a problem.

TheJDMan
10-11-2014, 07:44 PM
The guys have given you good advise to keep the inner fenders in place but it sounds like you have your mind set on removing them so good luck!

NightRider12
10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
The guys have given you good advise to keep the inner fenders in place but it sounds like you have your mind set on removing them so good luck!