PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Panel to Roof Seam

Pyroted
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Getting ready to fill that area. I plan on fully welding the seam. I have been told that I can use "Kitty Hair" a short strand fiberglass product to fill that area. I haven't seen many discussions on the topic, and know there are numerous ways to handle it. Lead, All Metal, Fiberglass. The area was media blasted and powder coat primed.

jasonsnova
10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
sandblast, weld solid, then coat of short strand filler, then coat of regular filler then coat as needed with glazing filler, prime with urethane frimer , block then reprime.....GL

CampbellshotrodsAZ
10-01-2014, 10:24 AM
I was watching a show recently where they took a strip of sheetmetal, and cut it to fit exactly into the channel, welded it up, and used a skim coat of filler. Definitely looked like one of the better ideas I've seen. We'll see if I ever use it, never done full 1/4's on a car, nor do I have any that need them... yet.

snappytravis
10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
I took a piece off of my old quarter panel, about a 1' wide or so from where it meet the roof, I then slid it up under the roof and tacked it. Then layed the new quarter panel over it and welded it to it as well. It gives you something to weld to and it also makes it so you are not trying to but weld the to panels together, I think it probably adds a little strength as well.

MonzaRacer
11-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I used to use fiberglass resin jelly, water proof, solid as a rock and doesnt pop out as easy as courser products. My uncle has/had body shop and also uses metal too metal filler.
I saw buddies car I used it on has a HUGE big block and only a 4 or 6 point cage and it hasnt popped out with nearly 20 yrs of racing on slicks and LOTS of NOS.